• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Conversion of original focal length of the lens to focal length in 35 mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fullkoll

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Classic 10.0
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
I have noticed a bug in the way Lightroom Classic handles the conversion of original focal length of the lens to focal length in 35 mm.
My Canon 50mm/1.8 for example is reported as 211mm instead of the correct 80mm. (1.6x50)
This happens when I export jpgs from the RAW-files and it´s the same problems with all my lenses and it´s not a new problem, since my old jpg files show the same problem.

The author of ExifTool, Phil Harvey gave this answer to a question about the problem:
"This is a common problem because other software often writes the FocalPlaneX/YResolution tags incorrectly."
Is there a way to solve this problem?

Hi everyone!

I use the excellent program ApolloOne (on Mac) to review my files (both the original RAW-files and export jpgs from LRC)

Enclosed you will find three screen dumps from ApolloOne
* A jpg-export of the original CR3-file from LRC
* A jpg-export of the original CR3-file from ApolloOne
* A view of the original untouched CR3- file viewed in ApolloOne

Data of the picture:
Canon M50 with an 11 mm focal lens - that is (1.6 x11=17.6 mm, in 35 mm format)
All files watched in ApolloOne

Results of the conversion of the 17.1 mm focal length in 35 mm format:
Original CR3: 17.1 mm
Export from ApolloOne: 17.0 mm
Export from LRC: 138.1 mm

I think that the results speak for themselves....... the conversion to 35mm format in LRC is useless!
This "feature" has been introduced in recent years - no problem way back........
And don´t think it´s worth the time to investigate further when this started......

I use this conversion method a lot when teaching groups in photography and where everyone has different cameras and lenses and I find this problem a nuisance.

Attachments

• Export_from_LRC.png
    Export_from_LRC.png
    50.1 KB · Views: 143
  • Exported_from_ApolloOne.png
    Exported_from_ApolloOne.png
    50.7 KB · Views: 140
  • Original _CR3.png
    Original _CR3.png
    46.9 KB · Views: 140
I may be on to something here....... looking back at photos I have taken this year.
I started 2020 using my m43-gear a lot and those x2 conversions are all correct from LRC!
The problem started when I started using two Canon M-models; M100 and M50! Still using LRC :mad:

Who is to blame for that? The Jpg-exports from ApolloOne are still correct, so I took some photos with the old and still going strong Lumix GM1 today......... and they are correct even from LRC.

So LRC is to blame for the in-correct values from at least my Canon M-cameras!

I have already sent Adobe a bug report!
Thanks!

This is where sent it! Wrong place?

Attachments

• 3EABE950-0C20-4209-B82A-7CC0228EED8A.jpeg
    3EABE950-0C20-4209-B82A-7CC0228EED8A.jpeg
    525.4 KB · Views: 138
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back