Confused about Editing DNG in Photoshop ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

msbc

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
I'm a little confused about DNG's and using Photoshop CS4 from Lightroom. I hope someone can clarify. Here's the scenario:[list type=decimal]
[li]Convert Panasonic LX2 RAW images to DNG - using Adobe Converter[/li]
[li]Import DNG's to Lightroom.[/li]
[li]Make some adjustments and then decide to go further in CS4[/li]
[li]Select and image and "Edit in Adobe Photoshop CS4.." - I don't get the usual dialog that lets me choose 'Edit Copy', 'Edit Original' etc, the image opens in CS4 (not ACR??).[/li]
[li]Make some changes and save image[/li]
[li]New image appears back in Lightroom, stacked with original, with filename <XXXX>-Edit.tif (<XXXX> is same as DNG prefix from original).[/li]
[/list]
If I select the edited copy in Lightroom it tells me the File Type is "Digital Negative (DNG)" even though the filename ends in .tif.

So, it's a DNG but with a TIF file suffix??
Same scenario on 2.5 and 3.'B

Hi msbc, welcome to the forum!

That sounds perfectly normally, don't worry.

The Edit Copy/Edit Original etc dialog only shows up with JPEG/TIFF/PSD files. Raw files (whether proprietary raw or DNG) open directly into CS4 passing through the ACR pipeline. If you then use Save, it'll save using the TIFF or PSD setting that you've set in the External Editor preferences, but it'll also let you use Save As to save as any other file format that you'd like. At that point the edited file is no longer a DNG file as it's rendered data, so showing the file type as DNG is a bit weird and could be a bug.

Victoria,
I'm not sure what type of file it actually is? I have TIF set as the External Editor preference and it has a .tif suffix, but:

• [li]Finder does not show a thumbnail/preview for it:[/li]
6qb62t

• [li]If I open in Preview I get the following image displayed:[/li]
jh3394

• [li]On Preview's Inspector panel there is a DNG tab:[/li]
4w51xr

Mark

Ok, opened in CS4 and up comes ACR. So that means PS thinks it's DNG rather than TIFF?

I decided to repeat my work and now find the files are correctly labeled TIF after saving from CS4 - thumbnails display and images open in Preview correctly. I'm really stumped about what happened when I did this yesterday. One file may be able to explain but I had 18 just like this that showed the same problems - very weird.

Mark

Sounds like it wasn't saving properly. Very weird. But hey, I'm glad it's working again now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back