CMD+Q by Mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Henry

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Hi all

Occasionally when attempting to select all of the photos by pressing CMD+A, I accidently press CMD+Q. I can not find a way to NOT quit after having done this. There is no 'cancel' or other option to stop the quitting. It's extremely frustrating if i've got some filtering set before this finger mishap. Upon restart i need to go through the fitering process again.

If, indeed, there is not cancel at the quit stage, this must be the only program I use that lacks this feature.

Any suggestions? Apart from the obvious one of watching where I put my fingers?

I find that most of the apps that I have routinely open will close immediately, with no "are you sure" option, when using Cmd-Q. Virtually any/every real-time database app (such as Lightroom, Contacts, Calendar, Postbox - my mail client) will all close immediately when using that keyboard combination. As will both of my regular browsers (Firefox and Chrome), and as will any other app (e.g. Word, Excel, Photoshop) which has either no document-type open or all open documents are currently unaltered or "saved". In other words, the only time I'm presented with a cancel option after entering Cmd-Q is when there is unsaved changed/new data still open.....which all seems pretty logical to my mind.

IIRC there's a long outstanding feature request on the official Adobe feature-request site to provide an "are you sure" option whenever the user requests Lightroom shutdown (accidentally or otherwise). Maybe worth you heading over there to add your vote.

There's one option - change the shortcut. If you go to System Prefs > Keyboard > Shortcuts > App Shortcuts > + button. Select Lightroom in the top pop-up, Quit Lightroom in the next field, then pick a longer shortcut like Cmd-Opt-Q. That'll override the Cmd Q shortcut and save you the hassle.

Thanx Muchly Victoria.

That fixed the problem

Another option, not as elegant as Victoria's, would be to specify that your catalog is backed up at each shut down. If you do that, there will be a dialog box after you hit command Q which will ask you if you're sure you want to back it up. Then you can hit "cancel."

Yes I do backup on shut down. But cancel just cancels the backup, not the actual shutdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back