• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Best way to straighten an object without vertical lines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biff

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom 9.2.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
How can one straighten a conical building (without perpendicular lines)? For example a lighthouse (with no perpendicular lines). Or a street lamp (without perpendicular lines).

How can one straighten a conical building (without perpendicular lines)? For example a lighthouse (with no perpendicular lines). Or a street lamp (without perpendicular lines).
Draw the guide through the middle.

By keeping your eyes open. Even conical buildings will usually have vertical lines, such as window frames. A street lamp pole or a wind turbine may be a little more difficult to see, but it's still not that difficult.

1 2020-06-05 11-23-40.jpg

Thank you for that example, I somehow always have some difficulties to straighten such. So one just has to adapt the guide lines to the estimated middle as long until the objects look straighten, that is it.

Many thanks!

Biff, just reviewed this thread and don't see which tool folks are talking bout when they say "Guide". There are at least 3 that I know of.
1) a grid overlay
2) The "level" tool inside the Crop tool
3) The guided feature of the Transform Panel.

I suspect that Johan was using the Transform tool that lets you "Level" or "plumb" several different things in the image at once by stretching or compressing parts of the image.

The Level icon in the crop tool does not deform the image but is a quick way to rotate it so that some line you draw becomes either vertical or horozonal

The grid overlay is just a visual reference you can use when manually making rotate or transform adjustments.

Hello Califdan,

2) is the option "Angle" in the crop tool?

I suspect that Johan was using the Transform tool that lets you "Level" or "plumb" several different things in the image at once by stretching or compressing parts of the image.[/QUOT]
Yes, that is right, the most important / advanced option to straighten objects.

The Level icon in the crop tool does not deform the image but is a quick way to rotate it so that some line you draw becomes either vertical or horozonal
Yes, doing the same like the "Rotate" option, didn't notice it before Johan told me.

The grid overlay is just a visual reference you can use when manually making rotate or transform adjustments.
Yes, the drawback with it one cannot move it (line over line or so) respectively get lines on top of each other (which stay on top of each other when zooming), that does the Loupe Overlay.

Biff, just reviewed this thread and don't see which tool folks are talking bout when they say "Guide". There are at least 3 that I know of.
1) a grid overlay
2) The "level" tool inside the Crop tool
3) The guided feature of the Transform Panel.

I suspect that Johan was using the Transform tool that lets you "Level" or "plumb" several different things in the image at once by stretching or compressing parts of the image.

I was talking about guided upright in the transform panel and from his reply I conclude that Biff understood that.

I was talking about guided upright in the transform panel and from his reply I conclude that Biff understood that.

I assumed it was in the Transfform panel, and perhaps Biff did as well - I can't tell - , but many people read these posts in steal mode and it might not have been clear to them what tool was being referred to. So, just wanted to offer some clarification.

Yes. The Level icon is right next to the word "Angle" in the crop tool
Ah yes, so another kind of the "Rotate" option, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back