Adding GPS data after image import

Status
Not open for further replies.

harringg

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
I discovered that I had some GPS data from images that were taken with my BlackBerry and clicking on the arrow next to them took me to a Google showing the actual location, and it was insanely accurate. Showed exactly where on the beach we were sitting, as I recognized the landmarks in Google Maps satellite view that were in my image I took. I realize it would be accurate, it was just cool to see it in action is all.

I'm on a Mac and have seen some posts about Windows apps that will add GPS data to images in LR. Is this possible to add to an existing image on the Mac? I've got my images tagged with IPTC City/State so I could at least be in proximity with GPS. If I can add it, could this information be retained on export/upload?

From LR I first import the images and save the XMP files (select the imported images and use Cmd-S). Next I use HoudahGeo to load the GPS track and match it with the imported images. Save the GPS data from HoudahGeo using XMP files; you can also write to the images directly but personally I want to keep my raw files untouched. And finally, in LR read the new metadata for the imported images.

The other thing about HoudahGeo is that if you don't have a tracklog you can apply GPS by dragging and dropping images onto a Google map.

John

Another point is that, as far as I can see, Lightroom behaves differently when the GPS data is added via a sidecar - you have to add that data before importing.

To test this, take some raw files which aren't in LR and add GPS data via a sidecar. Import them into LR and the GPS will show up.

But import some more raw files which haven't had any GPS data added. Go now to the GPS program and add GPS data via a sidecar, then return to LR and try Metadata > Read Metadata. It won't read the GPS data.

Repeat the same procedure but writing directly inside the raw file (or even better inside a DNG). In each case, LR will read the GPS data.

Why is this important? Well, for one thing you need to order your workflow if you want to use sidecars for importing GPS. For another, it's a pain if you need to update that GPS data (eg to correct your drag and drop).

As usual, pulling out the pin and running for cover, embedded metadata trumps sidecars....

John

[quote author=johnbeardy link=topic=11621.msg78'13#msg78'13 date=12899'185']

But import some more raw files which haven't had any GPS data added. Go now to the GPS program and add GPS data via a sidecar, then return to LR and try Metadata > Read Metadata. It won't read the GPS data.

[/quote]

This is interesting, John. I did some limited testing using Geosetter (following your recommendation) on a few existing Lightroom-managed CR2s a month or so ago. I had Geosetter write the data to XMP sidecar, and when I then did the "Read Metadata from File" process, I found all the GPS data was imported, which is contrary to your findings. Different for NEF vs CR2?

However, one thing that also happened was that this metadata read also caused a "Reset Settings" to be applied to the develop history, so of course the preview reverted back to the original imported image. Easily corrected by stepping back one in the history panel, but a nuisance all the same....so I agree that if using this method to add geodata it's better to do it BEFORE importing into Lightroom.

But as this would screw up my existing import workflow it's something I'll need to think about should I ever decide to start geotagging en masse.

Thanks for the feedback. I should clarify my OP. I see how it's worded it's implying a different question than I intended. With images that already reside in my LR library, can I add GPS data manually to an image's metadata?

All the images I would like to do this with are family photos which are all .jpg.

Thanks

You can, but I believe you have to use a third-party plugin like Jeffrey's Geoencoding Plugin.

If memory serves, until LR detects coordinates in the field, it doesn't allow you access to enter/change them.

[quote author=RikkFlohr link=topic=11621.msg78'21#msg78'21 date=1289929563]
You can, but I believe you have to use a third-party plugin like Jeffrey's Geoencoding Plugin.

If memory serves, until LR detects coordinates in the field, it doesn't allow you access to enter/change them.
[/quote]

Jeffrey's Geoencoding Plugin won't let you write into the "proper" GPS data items in LR though, but will populate PlugIn variables with it. It will, however, include "real" GPS data upon export, and also let you save the PlugIn GPS data into XMP, so it can subsequently be reread into LR (subject to what John has noticed ...).

Beat

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote author=harringg link=topic=11621.msg78'19#msg78'19 date=128991'514]
Thanks for the feedback. I should clarify my OP. I see how it's worded it's implying a different question than I intended. With images that already reside in my LR library, can I add GPS data manually to an image's metadata?

All the images I would like to do this with are family photos which are all .jpg.

Thanks
[/quote]
Yes, and using HoudahGeo. It will update the EXIF in the file, and you then use Metadata > Read Metadata to update the catalogue.

John

I also use a mac.
I geotag my photos before putting into Lightroom using PhotoLinker which is a great product. I am sure you could use that on the photos and then refresh the metadata from the photos within Lightroom.

[quote author=johnbeardy link=topic=11621.msg78'25#msg78'25 date=1289934384]
[quote author=harringg link=topic=11621.msg78'19#msg78'19 date=128991'514]

Thanks
[/quote]
Yes, and using HoudahGeo. It will update the EXIF in the file, and you then use Metadata > Read Metadata to update the catalogue.

John
[/quote]

I took 5 images that were set to IPTC>Image>Sublocation, City, State in LR Ie. 123 1st street, anytown, ST and resided in LR. I then selected view in Finder, drag-dropped to HoudahGeo, chose Geocode using a map, set everything correctly, chose Export>Write EXIF tags, settings were Geocoded images only as the choice on the top, and the rest of the settings were all checked on the bottom.

I then went to LR>Metadata>Read Metadata from file
It warned about overwriting the images metadata, I said, OK and there is no IPTC>Image information of any kind (existing was over written) and I don't have any GPS coordinates in LR.

Am I missing something in my workflow? It's a demo of HoudahGeo, but I only tried it on 5 images, which is the demo limit.

If the images are already in LR and you have applied metadata, Cmd S to save it back into the files, then do the HoudahGeo step.

John

Off on a bit of a tangent, but even though I add metadata in LR, it's not actually a part of the image? That's good to know. I should go back and select any image I've worked with and Save metadata?

Also, that still didn't work. LR metadata added, LR>Metadata>Save Metadata to File, add Geotag in HoudaGeo and Export EXIF, back in LR, LR>Metadata>Read Metadata from file, and there is no GPS data in that image. Is it a limitation of the HoudaGPS app and it's not actually saving it in demo mode?

It should have worked. So, with an image in LR:

1. Save keywords and other metadata back to image (Cmd S)
2. Over to HoudahGeo and add the geotag, saving it to the files
3. Maybe test step 2 by re-opening HoudahGeo and seeing if those file have still got the GPS
4. Back in LR, LR>Metadata>Read Metadata from file

On your tangent, I see no great reason to save the metadata back to the image if you're backing up your LR catalogue and if you only ever open those pictures from LR, not directly in another program. Save or don't save back if you want, and then make sure you think through the backup implications (ie exclude modified files from backup).

1. check
2. check
3. check
4. check (Was looking at IPTC not EXIF, oops)

Gotta run, but have some followup ?'s for later.

Thanks

I thought that I would have a go at this, now that I have keyworded my whole collection I need some more data to add :)
Got it all working for RAWs, but the JPG are not showing the data; I have posted on their site asking for information.

What I thought I would be able to do, in LR, would be to sync the metadata. I choose the option, then select all data, but it doesn't seem to copy the GPS co-ordinates from the RAW to the JPG; any ideas why please?

Have just splashed out a whopping £1.19 ($1.99) on a new iPhone app called gps4cam (see www.gps4cam.com). It's rather clunky (well, what do you expect for that price? :)), but first impressions are that it does what it says on the tin!

Basic concept:

1. When about to start shooting on your field trip, start a new 'Trip' on the iPhone, which uses the inbuilt GPS capability to record a 'trip log' (there are various options as to how frequently the location data is recorded in the log to help minimise battery usage).
2. When done shooting, press "Export" in the app and the trip data is presented as a single screen "bar-code" which you take a picture of.
3. A free desktop app (Mac or Windows) is then used to read the pictures from your shoot and the picture from the iPhone app and updates the Exif data in the pictures with the appropriate GPS data (using the pukka Exif fields apparently).
4. Import pictures and viola, GPS data now in the metadata fields (accurate so far! :)).

The thing I don't like is that it doesn't (when shooting RAW) write an XMP sidecar....it generates a new version of the file. In fact you can have it update the original file (by specifying the same input and output directory), and furthermore it will even do this by reading from, and writing back to, the files on the flash card. Yep, it actually works, though writing back to the card takes forever, so that's not something I'll do....but that then means messing with my import workflow which I'd be unhappy about (though probably easily adapted).

Verdict: cheap and cheerful, a very inexpensive solution for geotagging, plenty of scope for improvement (especially re RAW/XMP), as I said very clunky......but it seems to work so no doubt plenty of iPhone users will be trying it.

Apologies if this is old news, but I only came across it this evening.

Neat idea, thanks Jim, I'll take a look!

Hi all!

I can't get through a problem with geo tagging and would really appreciate any help.

My LR version is 3.3, camera is - Canon 30d and I'm shooting in RAW (CR2 extension for Canon).

All my photos already have keywords and some LR metadata (like labels & ratings). Some of then have adjustments made from within LR.

Now I decided to start geotagging (using PhotoLinker for example).

The problem is - if I press "Read metadata from file" button LR delete all my adjustments and metadata! But after that it actually sees the GPS-related info, such as coords, city and so on.

Tried to write GPS metadata into sidecars and RAW files, it doesn't seem any different.

One interesting note - after LR reads GPS info and reset all previous metadata the image history (in Develop mode) is still available. So, I can go a step back and it restores the adjustments I've made, but not rating/labels and keywords.

Any help wil be appreciated.

Valery

You need to write metadata to file in LR, use photolinker to add GPS data, and then read metadata from file in LR. The first will save your settings, the last will read them back in along with the GPS data. That's what I do and it works fine.

Last edited:
You need to write metadata to file, use photolinker to add GPS data, and then read metadata from file. The first will save your settings, the last will read them back in along with the GPS data. That's what I do and it works fine.

Thanks for your quick reply Charlie!

Forgot to mention - I'm saving metadata in LR before using any GPS software.
To be exact here is my test case:

1. Make any Canon RAW image black and white (just because it's going to be easier to check if adjustments are lost or not).
  2. Assign any keyword to image and rate it.
  3. Press CMD+S or Save metadata to file in LR (and in LR preferences I've specified - Automatically write changes into XMP). Any way, press CMD+S and click the menu item just to be sure :)
  4. Open any geo tagging software (I use PhotoLinker) and drag&drop the image to it.
  5. Select any location. Check what City/State/Country are filled to.
  6. Press write changes (my preference is - write metadata to photo only, so PhotoLinker modifies original CR2 file, i've checked - sidecar stays the same).
  7. Press "Metadata > Read metadata from file"

Excepted result - in Metadata panel you see geo information you've specified in an external geo data software. For example City, Country & State in IPTC metadata. AND you adjustments, ratings & keywords stays the same.

Actual result - IPTC data updates immediately and all adjustments with KWs & ratings goes away.

Might be it is an issue with my specific camera RAW format.. But I don't think so. Just in case here is a RAW image from my Canon 30d - http://cl.ly/4n3W.

Could you please try to pass my test case on your computer?

Thanks!

Valery

Valery,

I downloaded your raw file and imported it in LR. I then changed it to B&W and saved metadata to file (I have it set to do that automatically too). I don't have a GPS track for that photo, so I just manually tagged it to my address in photolinker. I then read metadata from file and the image was still B&W and was also geotagged. My photolinker preference is set to the default, write to sidecar if exists, photo otherwise - so maybe that is your issue.

Valery,

I downloaded your raw file and imported it in LR. I then changed it to B&W and saved metadata to file (I have it set to do that automatically too). I don't have a GPS track for that photo, so I just manually tagged it to my address in photolinker. I then read metadata from file and the image was still B&W and was also geotagged. My photolinker preference is set to the default, write to sidecar if exists, photo otherwise - so maybe that is your issue.

Yes, it is! :hail:

It works like a charm with sidecars..

The reason I preferred writing to RAW directly - it is more interoperable way in case you use many apps.

Any ideas how I can copy GEO information from already tagged RAW files to its' sidecars?

PS. Bought LR today! Now I can use Jeffrey's plugins!

Thanks anyway! You helped a lot.

I don't have a track for most of those images. Tagged manually.

Here is a way, how to convert GPS data from RAW to sidecar:
1) Change PhotoLinker preferences to - Write GPS info to sidecar if exists.
2) Drag&Drop your previously georagged photos to PhotoLinker
3) Select all (CMD+A) and right click them.
4) Choose "Synchronize Metadata" submenu.
5) Push the button! (Write Changed Tags)
6) Re-read metadata in LR.

In case synchronize metadata doesn't make the WRITE button available - modify any empty editable field in PhotoLinker and write changes. After you can clear the temp field exactly the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back