• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

8.4 Download issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugashik Bob

Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Classic 8.3.1 Camera Raw 11.3
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Having problems downloading 8.4 on slow satellite based internet connection. Failures occur usually 7-8% into download which indicates I am past the firewall/virus roadblocks. I tried the direct link also (LR_8.0_1193777_...zip) which completed but installs Adobe Photoshop Classic 8.3.1 Camera Raw 11.3. Same problem occurs when attempting to download updates to Adobe Creative cloud app with Windows 10 @ 1903 level with 2019-08 update. Any suggestions appreciated.

Having problems downloading 8.4 on slow satellite based internet connection. Failures occur usually 7-8% into download which indicates I am past the firewall/virus roadblocks. I tried the direct link also (LR_8.0_1193777_...zip) which completed but installs Adobe Photoshop Classic 8.3.1 Camera Raw 11.3. Same problem occurs when attempting to download updates to Adobe Creative cloud app with Windows 10 @ 1903 level with 2019-08 update. Any suggestions appreciated.
With other applications, or with Windows updates, do you have the same timeout issues? If not, then a call to Adobe support is in order. If yes, then as an "advanced" solution, consider getting a different Internet service.

If your system is a laptop you might consider going to a WiFi-equipped cafe or coffee shop and doing the Lightroom update from that location. Just be aware that some some public WiFi hotspots will block software downloads.

Phil

Greetings. Thank you for the kind suggestions as I would like nothing better than enjoying a $6 Mocha while doing an Adobe download but unfortunately we live in a very remote area of Alaska. Our low performance and high price are both done because the isp is aware we have no other options. Other updates although slow at least complete which you can see because I am at the latest level of windows. I am using an Ethernet cable but the Adobe applications seem to be the slowest download application I use. When they suggest a direct download as a solution to slow error prone networks why are the links provided not to a current level like I explained previously ? They download just fine.

Greetings. Thank you for the kind suggestions as I would like nothing better than enjoying a $6 Mocha while doing an Adobe download but unfortunately we live in a very remote area of Alaska. Our low performance and high price are both done because the isp is aware we have no other options. Other updates although slow at least complete which you can see because I am at the latest level of windows. I am using an Ethernet cable but the Adobe applications seem to be the slowest download application I use. When they suggest a direct download as a solution to slow error prone networks why are the links provided not to a current level like I explained previously ? They download just fine.
Time to talk with Adobe support. Be sure to tell them that your Microsoft (Windows, etc) updates download just fine.

Do you have any applications from other vendors, that require downloading an update? Which works fine, so you have more ammunition for your call with Adobe?

Phil
Yes but most are smaller updates. Also ipad/iphone updates are done slowly but finish on a regular basis. I would think the latest levels of LR would be available as a direct download as they complete for me and imply a server issue.

I would think the latest levels of LR would be available as a direct download as they complete for me and imply a server issue.
The general intention is that the user will use the Creative Cloud Desktop app to manage the download and installation of all the desktop apps included in the subscription. This allows for the current latest version or older versions to be managed. Which is why it's now difficult to get a direct download link, the CC desktop app is now much more reliable than it used to be.

Jim:
I understand and thank you for the info. The CC desktop app is much more reliable but is still the slowest app of anything I run under Windows. In fact I am trying to update the app and I get failures on it and the Lightroom 8.4 update. Our no other options ISP has a window from 2am to 8 am so large updates like windows and Adobe LR do not count against your bandwidth allotment. I have one last hail Mary I will do at 2AM in the morning when the possibility for the best speeds exists. Will try with antivirus and firewall disabled and a direct Ethernet cable to modem bypassing router. If that fails will contact support.

During our unrestricted use window that starts at 2 am I was able to update LR Classic to 8.4 and Camera Raw to 11.4. Also updated Adobe Creative Cloud app. Is there a reason why I need this app if I prefer not to do any cloud based activity because of my slow internet speeds? For those that may have this issue I disabled all antivirus software and shut off the Windows Firewall. I also eliminated the router by running an ethernet cable directly from the ISP modem to Windows laptop. The LR Classic update installed in a little over 3 1/2 hours. Thank you for all the tips and suggestions.

Also updated Adobe Creative Cloud app. Is there a reason why I need this app
This is the app that verifies periodically that you have a valid subscription. Adobe checks about every 30-90 days to "the mothership" to allow LR etc to run on your machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back