• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Is there a way to save the "state" of LR without closing the program?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdRobinson

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
  2. Windows 11
Is there a way to save the "state" of LR (what you are doing & where you are) without closing the program? I push LR to its limits and too often LR becomes unresponsive and the "Something Went Wrong" dialogue comes up, and the program closes. LR always reopens to the place it was in at the last normal program closure. When I am doing something complex it would be nice to be able to save that "state" just in case LR crashes. Any thoughts?

Lr automatically saves the edits as you go along. Not sure that some other "saving"mechanism would help - maybe creating a Virtual Copy would give you want you need. Personally I would be more interested in finding the cause of the crashes. The software should not behave in the manner you describe.

I guess the question is how you’re pushing it to the limits… that sounds like something the engineers should hear

And I wonder why we can't do a backup without exiting LR.

I guess the question is how you’re pushing it to the limits… that sounds like something the engineers should hear
And I would like to see a program optiion for a "system log" that would automatically be uploaded to Adobe. This log would capture "system state" with a lot of details that are probably meaningful only to the programmers.

I want to thank Victoria and Lightroom Queen forum users. I come here first because the responses are always quick and meaningful.

The reason for my query about saving the “state” of LR was for convenience. My work-around is closing and reopening LR before starting the process that occasionally freezes LR. The most common trigger is the slideshow and the select subject processes.

I don’t feel LR is the sole problem, but because it is the most CPU and GPU intensive program I run, it catches any inconsistency in the operating system. I also run video editing and conversion programs that are also CPU & GPU intensive programs and any of them could be affecting the OS and this is not corrected when they are shut down. (Note: I do not run any of these programs simultaneously with LR.)

LR is the main program I work with daily. It has its problems but overall LR works smoothly and has amazing features. When it does go awry and I close LR I often find subsequent OS problems, so I’m never sure what really went wrong.

In response to PhilBurton, when the something went wrong dialogue comes up it states it has an event log and ask if it should be sent to Adobe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back