• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

ISO dependent preset generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

rob211

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic 9.2
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
Lr Classic now allows one to set defaults for cameras, and defaults specific to certain ISOs. Set up raw defaults

To set up such a default one must create an iso dependent preset, and as of right now there is no Lr tool to do so, one must download the sample file and use a text editor to create it. But a generous genius has created an online tool to do so here: Lightroom preset generator And it has saved many created by others if one would like to try some.

I've seen this before. How does this work exactly? I have a preset import that applies a custom colour profile, tweaks to Clarity, etc. Would those still apply?

I had a different approach. Instead of predicting your settings, why not average the Detail panel settings that you have actually applied to different ISOs? See » ISO-dependent presets

Cool idea for some. I think Brad Friedl also has a plugin that can do what Adobe's feature does and more too, the Bulk Develop plugin. I actually have found that I am more inclined to set a default NR or some other stuff by camera, rather than needing to set different defaults by ISO.

As to Zenon's query, see the Set Up... link in the original post. It works on defaults, the new system in the Preferences of Classic, and allows Lr to adjust the image based on its ISO. Like setting NR for images from 100=1600 ISO in say increments of 5.

I have Jeffrey Friedl's Bulk Developer. In all honesty I'm embarrassed to say this is all kind of confusing to me. I'm OK with computers but I've never been a code person, used text editing, etc. I first had a look the Adobe page, downloaded the examples but couldn't get it to work. I was in another thread about that here. I came across the link you posted but never tried it. John posted his method. Are these modifications of existing presets or completely new presets? I'd like to try and use a method at import but I want my Colour profile, Texture, Clarity and Dehaze tweaks and Lens Corrections/CA to also apply. I see checkboxes for Lens Corrections and CA in your link.

Using Jeffrey's plug-in is pretty decent. It will analyze hundreds of file in seconds. I'm not eager to stop using it but I'm always interested in something new.

Zenon it doesn't sound like you need ISO specific presets. The point is that different adjustments would be auto-applied to different ISOs. If you use the same adjustments for all images at import this feature isn't going to help you.

The text editing is basically that you have to start with say the syntax in the samples Adobe provides, add whatever non specific adjustments, and then tweak the ISO specific ones.

If Friedl's works, just keep using that instead.

Thanks. Before I discovered Jeffrey's plug-in I had my own system. I had 10 reference files for each camera. ISO 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600 and so on. I had specific NR settings for each ISO and used the old Default Develop settings method to save them. Only problem was I had to use 1/1 ISO values. To use 1 /3 or all the in between values would have required too many reference files to manage. The other issue was setting the camera ISO to 1 /3 didn't allow for Auto ISO.

And that's exactly why the ISO adaptive presets were so welcome. In the old days one might have half a dozen ISO values, like you have 5, but Auto ISO and better higher-ISO performance mean that it's not at all unusual to use many ISO values from a single day. Adobe's method interpolates, based on stops, between the ISO values in the adaptive preset.

Lr Classic now allows one to set defaults for cameras, and defaults specific to certain ISOs. Set up raw defaults

To set up such a default one must create an iso dependent preset, and as of right now there is no Lr tool to do so, one must download the sample file and use a text editor to create it. But a generous genius has created an online tool to do so here: Lightroom preset generator And it has saved many created by others if one would like to try some.

Just for fun I created a preset with that generator. Now I have a .txt file on my desktop. What do I do with it?

Just for fun I created a preset with that generator. Now I have a .txt file on my desktop. What do I do with it?
You should probably change the .txt extension to .xmp and import it as new preset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back