• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Window Shots in Raw - Struggling with walls in Lightroom.... Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Gill

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom CC 2015
Operating System
I'm not sure if it's Chromatic Aberation or just too much to ask with the really deep contrast. Also different color walls are really tough. I'm sure I just need someone to walk me through a few ways to get this clean. Because of efficiency, I am using Sony A6000 mirrorless in an automatic setting. Exposing for windows (Because it is the gulf of Mexico) and rooms are pretty dark but info is there. When I bring up shadows and bring down highlights and bring back up exposure .... a rainbow of color shows up on walls that is NOT the wall color. Am I trying to do too much or is there a way to edit these photos and get a clean image? Yes I am shooting in Raw. Thanks.... Steve

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-01 at 2.50.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-01 at 2.50.00 PM.png
    687.8 KB · Views: 279
For these window shots I was thinking that exposing for the window shots was the right thing to do.... but that left the interiors VERY DARK and then when I bring up the levels I am getting big time issues. I don't want to have to re-shoot all the images. Shot in Raw.

Modern sensors are getting better, but I would always shoot 2 frames for such scenarios... one for the window and one for the room.
I would create 2 versions of this raw, one exposed for the room and one for the window.. and play with noise reduction for the interior shot in Lr or Ps....then blend the two shots as different layers in Ps. That gives you the opportunity to maximise what you have in your raw file and allow you use different noise reduction options to minimise the damage. Maybe others may have some other suggestions...

Modern sensors are getting better, but I would always shoot 2 frames for such scenarios... one for the window and one for the room.
I would create 2 versions of this raw, one exposed for the room and one for the window.. and play with noise reduction for the interior shot in Lr or Ps....then blend the two shots as different layers in Ps. That gives you the opportunity to maximise what you have in your raw file and allow you use different noise reduction options to minimise the damage. Maybe others may have some other suggestions...

Yes noise reduction was absolutely the thing to do. That tool is very powerful. I kind of figured out that I was over sharpening images and I am now doing the chromatic aberration tool with the picker and that really works great too! Thanks a ton for your help

Good.... by creating two versions you are not pushing the correctly exposed images the wrong way, yet allowing you to concentrate on solving the exposure related issues for the darker areas....

Good.... by creating two versions you are not pushing the correctly exposed images the wrong way, yet allowing you to concentrate on solving the exposure related issues for the darker areas....
How fast and how do you merge the two images… Is it a process or do I have to make a matte of some sort. Can I merge the two images in light room?

Create a virtual image, so now you have two different versions of your image. Process one to optimise the shadow details, the other to optimise the windows. When working on the window version ignore how other areas look and viva versa. Now select both versions, right click and open as layers in Photoshop. Use the mask tool on on the top layer to hide / reveal the area in the lower layer . You need to understand layers, masks, brushes in PS and how to set the brush colours to Black or White.

You can go further in Ps. You can use a variety of Ps and / or third party noise reduction tools to try and tone down noisey elements which may have artifacts or colour noise introduced by pushing the shadow areas beyond their comfort zones.

You have a lot more control in Ps. You can use brushes in Lr to simulate some of these processes, but Ps gives you a lot more options and more precise control by using masks and layers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back