When to Leave Lightroom and Edit in Photoshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Sprague

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
There are Lightroom books, online classes and YouTube tutorials. Same for Photoshop. Somewhere near none include how to gain the advantage of using them together.

I'm trying to develop a better instinct for when to make the "Edit in Photoshop...." choice.

Please post any suggestions to facilitate a better understanding of when Photoshop is the better choice.

Thanks.

Bill

Yes, I agree about layer masks. I've worked with them too, but I tend to be lazy. Sometimes the word "quick" appeals. :)
I am glad to know I can do any of this on a smart layer. I clearly have some catching up to do in PS. Every since delving into LR I've used PS less and I'm definitely rusty.

I have both of Katrin Eisman's books, which I studied thoroughly a few years ago. Can you recommend others?

Ok, I've just run some experiments to clarify for myself what opening as a smart object from PS will and won't do.
I will definitely need to brush up on my masking skills, but I get the concept of applying ACR with a mask. Cool!

Johan, at what point in that workflow would I do cloning or dust and scratch (sensor dust) removal? I can rasterize a dupe of the smart object I've just opened from LR and clone on that, but how to combine that pixel layer with the smart objects layer + its masks and so on?

I know we're drifting into Photoshop territory here and away from Lightroom, but I'm still trying to get a handle on exactly what tasks to do where. I would prefer to do a lot of this stuff in PS, probably because I'm just more comfortable with it.

If possible, I would do sensor dust removal in Lightroom, because you can't clone in a smart object. You would have to render a copy layer, but that defies the non-destructive workflow of only using a smart object and smart filters. If your goal is heavy cloning, then the smart object approach is not useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back