What Drive my images are on???

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaturePhotog

Hello to all, and thanks ahead of time for any insight you might provide. I am a newbie here, struggling on the Lightroom curve. I apologize ahead of time, if I am being overly obtuse, or am missing this somewhere. Before wanting to bother anyone here on the forum with this question, I did a Search in LR, on Google, and here on the site, so I apologize if I missed the answer somewhere.

A little background.... I am using LR 2.6 on a Mac. I am working to consolidate all of my images from myriad drives onto one LR Library drive but at the moment I have imported images from multiple drives without moving them from their original location. I did not Move to a New Location on Import, I merely left them on the individual harddrives they were on.

My question is.......I have images that are in my LR catalog. When I click on this particular one (and the others in the same folder) it tells me that the image is Offline, which I understand. My question is, is there somewhere here in Lightroom that when I am in the Library mode and I select the image and LR tells me it is offline, that somewhere on LR it tells me WHICH drive the image is located on, that LR is looking for it on??? I scrolled down on the right hand side, thinking it might be in the Metadata portion, but I do not see drive info there and I am also looking at the left hand column , under FOLDERS, where it lists my various external drives (which are not currently connected) and I do not see anything highlighted there to indicate which drive the image is on.

SO, in short, is the image location (i.e. what drive it is actually on) here somewhere in LR, and if so, where do I find that?

Again, thanks to all. I hope everyone's week is off to a good start.
John

[quote author=NaturePhotog link=topic=9492.msg63943#msg63943 date=127'5136'']
A little background.... I am using LR 2.6 on a Mac. I am working to consolidate all of my images from myriad drives onto one LR Library drive but at the moment I have imported images from multiple drives without moving them from their original location. I did not Move to a New Location on Import, I merely left them on the individual harddrives they were on.[/quote]

This is a very normal thing to do ... leave the photos in their original location.

[quote author=NaturePhotog link=topic=9492.msg63943#msg63943 date=127'5136'']My question is.......I have images that are in my LR catalog. When I click on this particular one (and the others in the same folder) it tells me that the image is Offline, which I understand. My question is, is there somewhere here in Lightroom that when I am in the Library mode and I select the image and LR tells me it is offline, that somewhere on LR it tells me WHICH drive the image is located on, that LR is looking for it on??? I scrolled down on the right hand side, thinking it might be in the Metadata portion, but I do not see drive info there and I am also looking at the left hand column , under FOLDERS, where it lists my various external drives (which are not currently connected) and I do not see anything highlighted there to indicate which drive the image is on.[/quote]

Over on the right, in the Metadata panel, you should select ALL or DEFAULT, and it will show you the folder where your photo is located. You could also select a photo and then use the command Photo->Show Folder in Library, which will open the folder panel on the left and indicate which folder the photo is in.

Which brings up a question I want to ask you. Why do you care what folder your photo is located in? Once you have imported the photo into Lightroom, you don't need to know the folder name or location in order to make use of your photo. You can edit it, print it, do anything you want with it; and you nevermore need to know the folder name. It is really much simpler if you stop thinking in terms of folders, and use Lightroom tools (keywords, metadata, collections) to help you locate your photos inside Lightroom.

Thanks Paige, I never would have found it on my own, either of those......the reason I care what folder (and by extension, what drive the image is on) is because I stupidly when I first started using LR, imported images into the Library from all sorts of external drives (homebased external drives, my smaller travel drives, etc...). So at this point, when I click on my Tarpon images for instance, and then it is telling me the images are offline, the question becomes, well, what drive are the images on so I can reconnect to them, use the Develop Module, print, etc......

As I said, I am working on consolidating my images onto one drive that is my Lightroom Library, so I don't have this type of confusion in the future.

Thanks again! have a great night!
John

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote author=NaturePhotog link=topic=9492.msg63945#msg63945 date=127'515429]
Thanks Paige, I never would have found it on my own, either of those......the reason I care what folder (and by extension, what drive the image is on) is because I stupidly when I first started using LR, imported images into the Library from all sorts of external drives (homebased external drives, my smaller travel drives, etc...). So at this point, when I click on my Tarpon images for instance, and then it is telling me the images are offline, the question becomes, well, what drive are the images on so I can reconnect to them, use the Develop Module, print, etc......
[/quote]

Makes sense to me. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back