Using sub-seconds or sth. similiar in filenames

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThomasD.

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Hi,

I wasn't able to solve my problem, neither with the LRQ FAQ book, the DAM book not this or any other forum. Maybe one of you can help me with this (hopefully) small problem.
I've tried the various numbers of Lightroom during the import but I'm not able to get a sub-numbering like milli-seconds. My filenames are like YYYYMMDD-HHMMSS and I want to add either the milliseconds (which I believe is not possible) or an increasing number, but just for a single second. It should look like this:
20161227-122025-001.dng
20161217-122245-001.dng
20161217-122245-002.dng (the 2nd picture)
20161217-122246-001.dng (restaring from 1).
If I use the sequence number, this number never starts again from 1.

I appreciate your support!
Best regards, Thomas

Perhaps a script. Lr renaming on import isn't gonna be able to find the info you want to create the sequence. Indeed, I can't. How would it know to increment the 122245 but not the 122025? I'm not sure what you have available in exif, but there's a good discussion of how to add subseconds with exiftool here: How do I use milliseconds when renaming files?

Hi,

just as a final statement to close my threat:
Checking out the exiftool I found another tool which is listed on Phil Harveys website: AdvancedRenamer.
With that one (GUI version :)) it's quite easy to rename based on EXIF information and to increment based on name collision rules.
This tool will definitely be part of my workflow since I can save renaming presets based on my camera models.

Not sure if it is already too late or not, but since you are on Windows here is what I am using to work around the inability of Lightroom to handle milliseconds:

I am using Breeze Downloader Pro to rename the pictures while copying them to a specific folder of my hard drive, and then I import the pictures into Lightroom by synchronizing this specific folder. You can create templates for renaming files based on Exif data, and milliseconds is one of them. Downloader Pro also provides some flexibility for custom naming of your camera model.

Btw I am not an affiliate, just a satisfied user. I hope it helps.

I have used Breeze Downloader Pro in the past and found it very useful.

It is especially useful for custom naming using camera model / serial number (ie if multiple cameras on the same shoot or if you are using multiple cameras yourself). This may not be high on most peoples needs, but extremely useful if you do.

It is much more user friendly (in my view) than PhotoMechanic(PM) and has the advantage that you get a preview of your proposed download (which I have requested from PM, but which has been ignored).

One disadvantage (for me) is that it is only a Windows app.

I stopped using it because I wrote my own custom app (my own folder / file naming schema, validation of missing raw or jpgs, confirmed that copy and original hash numbers tally,to work on Mac and Windows and lots more).

Last edited:
I have used Breeze Downloader Pro in the past and found it very useful.

One disadvantage (for me) is that it is only a Windows app.

I stopped using it because I wrote my own custom app (my own folder / file naming schema, validation of missing raw or jpgs, confirmed that copy and original hash numbers tally,to work on Mac and Windows and lots more).
BreezeBrowser Pro has a limitation which was a showstopper for me. It can't rename XMP files. :confused: That means I can't use it as part of a workflow using Fast Raw Viewer, which generates XMP files.:eek2:

Gnits, have you considered sharing your custom app? If you did, of course you would end up supporting people for bug fixes and general usage.:)

Phil

I spent some time trying to do this at one point, and ended up instead doing one of two things. Either appending the original sequence number at the end of the YYYYMMDD-HHMMSS-SEQ#, which I did with exiftool against DNG files. And later, when I discovered that some camera raw files don't export the original sequence #, I just switched to a 3 digit incrementing number with each import starting at 000 for the seq#, via the adobe bridge importer. Neither give you the the ability to link "bursts" together into sequences unfortunately, I haven't found this as a problem at all and it provides me with a "relatively" unique identifier for each shot in a days shooting (1000 pictures is a lot for me in an import, you could switch to 4 digit sequence number and be good if you wanted unique in most cases).

It can't rename XMP files.

I estimate I spent 3-4 days writing my app and maybe 4-5 late nights testing and debugging. The point is that I do not write apps for a living, and companies with more qualified resources than me must be able to do a better job on this critical aspect of Lightroom. I include Adobe, PhotoMechanic, Breeze etc.

1. XMP Files
My app is designed to work from a memory card or from a folder. It is not surprised if it finds xmp files(1), other image formats, video and /or any other kind of files.(3). If I can do it, then Breeze can do it. Encourage them to enhance their app. See crop from my main screen below, which shows my run time choices on files I wish to select to copy.

In relation to xmp files, it will apply the same file renaming rules so raw, xmp and jpgs will always remain with a consistent file name.

2. Raw or Jpg

I can opt to select raw or jpg or both. This is an option sorely missing from Lightroom import. Mostly I want only to import Raws, but when travelling I may specifically just want to import jpgs , say for web or email.

upload_2017-2-14_9-47-54.png

3. Other Files
Option to select image formats not supported by Lr. Option to handle video files (ie copy / ignore) and finally option to handle any other kind of files.

I regularly hold action plans, pdfs, proposals and other files in my project folder (including the Raw and related Lr files).

4. Select From & To Date. [This is also an option sorely missing from Lightroom import].
My app does a pre-process of all the images to be copied and provides an on screen summary of the number of files by file type and date. I can easily see if I have images spread across multiple dates, so I have the option to copy files from different dates (ie if they belong to different projects). The app pre-populates the From /To dates based on the dates found, so I do not have to manually enter dates.

5. File Renaming.
I do not want to go into detail here, but the option exists to keep original filenames or use my preferred project number/ sequence number schema. My app keeps a list of my projects and their sequence numbers which are used for folder and file renaming.

6. Sequence No.
Photo Mechanic kept re-setting my sequence number. The absence of key functionality with Lr import and unreliability of PM sequence number was the motivation for me to write my app. I also wanted to be able to use the same app on my Mac in the field and Windows workstation at my office.

Gnits, have you considered sharing your custom app?

I was conscious when writing the app that lots of people might be interested in it. While I have built quite a robust piece of code and it does a lot of validation internally, which I do not discuss here, in my view, in its current status, I would not be happy to distribute this app. I will not even give it for free to my friends. As an experienced CIO, I totally understand the full ramifications of what support means. I may, in a year or two, change my mind, as my own time priorities are likely to change.

The reason I have written this post is to specifically answer the queries raised above, but also to point out that many of the existing suppliers of solutions in this space have done a reasonable job, but in my view do not fully appreciate real world workflow and have omitted basic features which should form part of their plans going forward.

BreezeBrowser Pro has a limitation which was a showstopper for me. It can't rename XMP files. :confused: That means I can't use it as part of a workflow using Fast Raw Viewer, which generates XMP files.:eek2:

Phil

Replying to my own post, it occurred to me the other day that I might submit a feature request to Breezesys to rename XMP files as part of an import process. But then I read this Breezesys forum thread from less than a week ago. Post #1 exactly capture my concern. Post #2 is everything that is wrong with one-person software companies, who don't listen to market signals. This thread is one of several that make the exact same request.

Feature Request - Download xmp sidecars

I've learned from experience that it is useless to try to convince these any of these one-person software companies to listen to user suggestions for a change in their preconceived ideas. o_O :speechless:

Phil

Last edited:
A pity. I was able to incorporate this feature in my own app with a few lines of code, while at the same time handling a bunch of other selective criteria. One rule I made for my app is that an xmp file always travels with a raw file (or has the option to) and is renamed with the same rules and lands in the same folder as the raw. Basic stuff in my view.

Back to the original poster's question, I played some more with exiftool

From a CMD line, this worked on my Canon 5dm2 files converted to DNG:

exiftool '-filename<${DateCreated}-${SubSecTimeOriginal;$_.=0 x(3-length)}.%e' -d "%Y%m%d-%H%M%S" *.dng

You may need to add "\" in front of each of the "$" in the line if running that on a linux/macos box, to shell escape. All credit goes to Phil Harvey - How do I use milliseconds when renaming files?

However, my Olympus EM1 files did not have subsecond timing encoded into them, so it did not rename them properly, and I have to use the generated sequence number during import.

You may have to test this to find out if it works as you expect with your raw files depending on your camera.

A pity. I was able to incorporate this feature in my own app with a few lines of code, while at the same time handling a bunch of other selective criteria. One rule I made for my app is that an xmp file always travels with a raw file (or has the option to) and is renamed with the same rules and lands in the same folder as the raw. Basic stuff in my view.
Gnits,

A pity, and ultimately, self-defeating. Mr. Breeze has certainly lost some business because of his, "I know better than you" approach.

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back