• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Using Lightroom with OneDrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

EldonNZ

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
We have the daunting task of cataloguing all our digital family photos for the last 10 years and it appears Lightroom would be good software to use as it recognises faces etc. we have about 50,000 photos which I do not have room on local drive to store so have got them in OneDrive and set to cloud storage only.
Q1: Is Lightroom the appropriate software to automatically review photos in cloud for location, people in photo, date etc? (I have not subscribed yet)
Q2: If the answer to Q1 is Yes can I do it all in the cloud on OneDrive as I do not want to store on Lightroom and do not have room to copy to local drive.

Thanks for your help to this absolute novice!
EldonNZ

There are two current versions of "Lightroom".....one (the older) is called Lightroom Classic, but would be inappropriate as all image storage has to be on local drives (though couldn't you just add an additional drive?). The younger version (introduced in 2017) is called simply Lightroom , which in fact is a system of interconnected apps, there are apps that run on Desktop, Mobile (smartphones and tablets) and an online app that can be accessed through virtually any browser. For the Lightroom system, images are stored in the Adobe cloud (cannot use other cloud services such as OneDrive), though some local storage would be needed if using the Lightroom Desktop app.

Both Lightroom and Lightroom Classic have (differing) face recognition engines, though Lightroom has better tools for sharing the images with family members and it's heading towards being a useful tool for creating that "family archive" (though not fully there yet). Lightroom Classic has better tools for the location aspect of your requirement (Lightroom does have some functionality, but Classic's is far more complete).

So, to answer your questions:

1. Yes, either version could be used, though Classic require a lot more local storage.
2. No, only the Adobe cloud can be used.

we have about 50,000 photos which I do not have room on local drive to store so have got them in OneDrive and set to cloud storage only.
I don’t think Lightroom Classic can deal with that, unless One Drive can be mounted like a local drive. It needs the images to be on a local drive or a NAS.

There are two current versions of "Lightroom".....one (the older) is called Lightroom Classic, but would be inappropriate as all image storage has to be on local drives (though couldn't you just add an additional drive?). The younger version (introduced in 2017) is called simply Lightroom , which in fact is a system of interconnected apps, there are apps that run on Desktop, Mobile (smartphones and tablets) and an online app that can be accessed through virtually any browser. For the Lightroom system, images are stored in the Adobe cloud (cannot use other cloud services such as OneDrive), though some local storage would be needed if using the Lightroom Desktop app.

Both Lightroom and Lightroom Classic have (differing) face recognition engines, though Lightroom has better tools for sharing the images with family members and it's heading towards being a useful tool for creating that "family archive" (though not fully there yet). Lightroom Classic has better tools for the location aspect of your requirement (Lightroom does have some functionality, but Classic's is far more complete).

So, to answer your questions:

1. Yes, either version could be used, though Classic require a lot more local storage.
2. No, only the Adobe cloud can be used.
Thanks Jim - much appreciated. I think in our situation will continue the search for other software.
EldonNZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back