• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • The May 2019 Lightroom updates are now available. There's a brand new slider called Texture, available across the whole family of apps. Lightroom Classic includes a new tool called Flat Field Correction. Lightroom (cloud-based service) has lots of big improvements including cloud trash, invitation-only web galleries, improved chromatic aberration removal and more. The Missing FAQ and Edit Like a Pro eBooks are already updated for the changes. You'll also notice the CC's have disappeared off the end of the names, so we've updated the forum names to match.

upgrade LR 5?

L Robbin

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
5.x
Lightroom Version
Operating System
macOS 10.10 Yosemite
I have LR 5.7 on my 2013 iMac.
What advantages are there to upgrading to LR 6 (is there a higher upgrade?)?

Zenon

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
One would be that you could upgrade to a newer or the latest OS so you are getting security updates. LR6 is no longer for sale at Adobe. You can still buy the DVD at some locations. Make sure they are reliable and it comes with a key code so you can can get the latest version.

On that note LR6 is no longer supported. The last update was in December of 2017. It won't open RAW files on cameras released in 2018 and on. A year ago it might have been still been OK but I wouldn't do this today.

The latest is LR8. A lot has changed in the last few years. You can only get the latest version by subscription. No more perpetual licence options for LR.

L Robbin

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
5.x
Very helpful. I'll stick with LR 5.