Unusual issue with imports appearing as colored lines!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RStyle

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Camera is a new Nikon D7100. Lens is Nikon DX 70-300mm
Lightroom 5 on desktop (Windows)
Lightroom 5 on Mac (laptop)
Issue happens on both operating systems

Open windows and insert SD card
I can see all images on the card perfectly on thumbnails in Lightroom prior to import (I could see them fine on camera with review)

When I import, on the imported images,the subject on the images is barely visible and the entire, on some 1/2 and on others 1/3
of the image appear as colored lines across the field of view. Example attached
On
attachment.php
a vertical shot the lines are vertical and on horizontal shot they are across the image from side to side

Never seen this before
Will try to download directly with cable from camera
Do not think is a card issue since I can see the images in the camera and the thumbnails prior to import in Light room fine.
Camera settings? Doubt it....... Lost

Thanks for any suggestions

Attachments

• 20150613-DSC_0032.jpg
    20150613-DSC_0032.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 967
Last edited by a moderator:
Another
attachment.php
example

Attachments

• 20150613-DSC_0036.jpg
    20150613-DSC_0036.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 931
Last edited by a moderator:
Don't assume it's not a card problem simply because you can see the images in camera and the thumbnails in LR....in both cases you are looking at the jpeg preview that's automatically written into the Raw files. Something is corrupting the raw data, which could be anything in the chain from camera through to Lightroom (camera, card, cable, hard drive, RAM), so you need to start a process of elimination.

But, given that it happens on two different systems, that narrows it down somewhat.....assuming you use a different card reader on each system, where do the images get copied to when you import? A shared hard drive? If so, try importing to the system drive on either system.

But, as this is a new camera, is it a new SD card also? If not a new card, did you reformat it in the new camera before shooting? Do you have a different card that you could try?

looks a world football file; corrupt! Did you format the card in the camera before saving photos on it

Hi:
Thanks for the responses.
I usually reformat the cards but can't remember if I did on this one since it had been in the camera for some time.
I am shooting RAW so now I understand why the previews are fine....they are JPEG's. Did not think about it.
Will start with a fresh reformatted card and will follow the steps.
From there will download via USB.
No shared drives.
Will report what I find.

Hi:
Thanks for the responses.
I usually reformat the cards but can't remember if I did on this one since it had been in the camera for some time.
I am shooting RAW so now I understand why the previews are fine....they are JPEG's. Did not think about it.
Will start with a fresh reformatted card and will follow the steps.
From there will download via USB.
No shared drives.
Will report what I find.

Well.................
reformat card - same problem
download via USB - same problem
use slot 2 in camera - same problem

Changed to a Lexar Professional card (not an ad!) and problem gone
To make sure, I shot 20 exposures and downloaded and problem is gone.
Was worried because the camera is new and did not want to deal with the return, warranty, time to get it back etc.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!!!

...Changed to a Lexar Professional card (not an ad!) and problem gone...
There is a reason that Nikon recommends and approves Lexar and Sandisk cards. Newer Nikons are less forgiving of crappy cards. Buffer write speeds are needing the fastest cards to quickly accommodate the higher pixel counts. These first tier brands are recommended. Second tier brands like Transcend usually will work well too if rated as Class 10 and UHS-3. But you also need to be aware of counterfeit cards being sold through e-bay and even Amazon. I would avoid no-name cards because of the quality issues.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back