Test prints

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gene_mtl

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
I've been pretty successful in achieving decent results printing locally and getting 5x7/8x12 & 12x18 prints from Costco. The success is mainly do to the outstanding help and suggestions I received in this forum.

So now I'm thinking of getting one or two large prints (20x30). I have an account with SmugMug and know several people who have had prints done by SmugMug and who have been extremely pleased with the results.

It has been suggested to me to have several test prints done first. One suggestion was to have several smaller prints (4x6 or 8x12) done and then adjust the image accordingly. Another suggestion is to prepare image and take crops from that image and have that printed.

Any thoughts on the best way to approach this?

TIA.

Have a 20x30 done at Costco. They are usually done on an Epson inkjet printer, but they make great proofs for the price, usually around $10/image. Also, remember tha SmugMug used to offer a satisfaction guarantee for their prints (hence the mark-up over the lab's regular pricing), so if they do not turn out right, you can get refunded. But, to answer your original question, I would order one of each, a small print and a crop print, at least for your first time out. As I have been ordering a lot of enlargements from a number of labs, I have come to the conclusion that it is a lot like making omlettes. You need to break a number of eggs, so do not be afraid to order up.

Good luck,

--Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back