So why is a duplicate file, albeit a tif, generated.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Den

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
or whatever file type you set, when you "edit in" or export to another editor? I realize you don't have to have in your catalog, but it is in the original file folder and you can decide to have it in the catalog or not.

As Lightroom editing is non-destructive and PS, etc do alter pixels hence a new file with the altered pixels needs to be created.

I just wish the "Gods" at adobe would let us choose a jpg if we wanted. End of rant.

Since I end up deleting them, as I am only wanting to save the file that I worked on in the other editing program, I guess it would be easier to have them save to an "Edit Folder" and just delete them as they build up. I've been having them go to same folder as original which becomes harder to track down. I guess you can only specify this if you "Export" not Edit in". I just don't see why they aren't temporary and delete automatically. Why would you want to keep them or am I missing something?

Last edited:
Why would you want to keep them or am I missing something?

Because in a lot of cases, the edited file becomes the "Master". That's how I work (and I suspect very many others), i.e. I'll develop an original Raw file in Lightroom as far as I can go, which is usually 99% of my images. However, for that remaining 1% I might need to do something in Photoshop, so I use the "Edit in...." and do whatever I need to do, but when I've done that I want/need that edited image (Tiff in my case) back inside Lightroom (stacked alongside the original) because now that Tiff is the file that will be published (via Publish Services), not the original. If I subsequently want to make further changes, either in Lightroom or Photoshop, it will be the Tiff that I use, not the Raw. However the original is still available to use if I subsequently want to use a different approach.

I understand that Jim, and I too would import the file back into LR. I'm talking about the image that is created automatically when I go to "Edit In". The tiff that's a dup of the RAW, not the one I created/worked on in another program and reimport back to LR. At that point there are 3 images, the RAW, a tiff and a tiff I manipulated. If I export instead of Edit In, I can choose to have that "dup" image go somewhere else, but not when Edit In is used. I'm not using PS, I'm using another program.

Look in Preferences > External Editing. You can choose JPEG if you really really want to do so.

The tiff that's a dup of the RAW, not the one I created/worked on in another program and reimport back to LR. At that point there are 3 images, the RAW, a tiff and a tiff I manipulated.

Confused by this. Irrespective of whether you are using another editor, I thought the procedure should be the same, i.e. you select "Edit in....", choose your editor and Lightroom will have it's ACR generate a Tiff (which should appear in Lightroom immediately). That Tiff is what is then opened into the external editor, where you can proceed with your manipulation. When done, you press "Save" and the updated Tiff should be returned to Lightroom and replaces the first one. There should not be two Tiffs created from one "Edit In..." operation, unless I'm totally wrong in my assumption.

I imagine Den is doing save as, creating the second tiff to be imported into lightroom, rather than a Save as you are doing Jim. Then he ends up with 2 tiffs + the raw.

Thanks for the responses. I found out what is going on. It all depends on the program. Some send the changes back to the auto tiff created and some don't. That's why if I want the changed image back in LR, from some programs, I have to import it after having saved it. Thereby having 3 images like I mentioned before. It all depends on the editor chosen. Well, at least the confusion is solved. Thanks again.

SUCCESS!
I just figured out how to do the same thing in the programs, mainly one program, that was not giving me the edited file. I just have to make sure it is named the same and overwrite it (the created tiff) when saved. (There was no choice, only a save as). It now shows up in LR as it should (edited) and I don't have to import a 3rd copy.

Last edited:
Good news Den. One thing, to make your life simpler... in that save as box, most apps let you click an existing file in the save as dialog box, making it simpler to get the same name for overwriting. Just careful which file you click on, or it's a good way to break other photos.

What is the other app Den??? It is helpful for us to have the answer to problems especially specifics.... Thanks.

Several, and at this point it does not matter as the problem/question has been solved/answered. Thanks anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back