• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Smart Previews were not built message

Status
Not open for further replies.

bposner

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
I recently returned from a photo trip, and have been importing RAW images from my Sony (.ARW) just fine in LR. I took a break and decided to update my Adobe products to the newest versions. ( I was only one version behind). When everything was installed I continued to import from the same card I was importing from before. However now I get a message "Some smart previews were not built" and it lists all the files, which are all that I imported. So I decided to try my Nikon card and same message. Is there a new setting or something carried over I didn't set in LR? Everything else seems to work fine, I can still edit images.
Thanks for any feedback.

Why do you want to build Smart Previews?
For what purpose?

I'm reading then that you're building Smart Previews on Import and this is the part that fails. If you then select the imported images and Build Smart Previews do they then work okay?

Ok, although I use LR and PS extensively I don't know why I'm building Smart Previews lol. I pretty much use the software as it comes "out of the box". Other than adding external editors and some plugins I don't know how to answer the questions. My work flow, is Import from Card reader > Edit photos. My catalog seems fine all the images are there.

If your Imported original camera files are connected and available to Lightroom-Classic (on an internal drive), then there is rarely a reason to take up more disk space with Smart Previews.
Why SPs?
You might want them if your photos are on an external drive that you disconnect from the computer.
You might use them if they 'speed up' your LrC editing. (there is a preference option for this).
You might use them to Export with a temporary Catalog when traveling, and merge the travel catalog back into the 'home' Catalog.
(My files are all 'local' on D-Drive, and I have never needed to create Smart Previews!)
There are disadvantages- They occupy more space next to the Catalog location. You can not 'Edit-In' Photoshop from the SPs.
SMART PREVIEWS ULTIMATE GUIDE

Thanks, yes I have all my image on external drives. Part of my "quick pull" in case of emergency and when I upgrade computers. I looked at the link you provided I have things marked to use Smart Previews. I just looked at all the files I imported and during the process of import I always name my files to reflect what folder they are in with date. However I just looked and they are all named "untitled". This has never happened as all my files I have imported before update are named with my specific conventions. So something went off with this update, but can't find it. :(

Ok, I tried different camera raw files (Nikon) and different folder still getting message. If I build them manually they build. thanks

I have often made Smart Previews in previous versions of LrC for various reasons. When I updated to V10.0 I clicked on "make SP" on import, but when import was complete I got an error message that they were not made. I can make a SP of an individual file but it fails for a batch of files on import. Is this a bug? Settings incorrect? Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back