show me where the focus in my shot is

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaios

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Hi all,
I am looking for a plugin that would mark which parts of the image are in focus. I know that something similar exists for capture one for example.
Can someone shed some light here?
Regards
Alex

Please note that this plugin shows you which focus point the camera used. That is not the same as showing you which part(s) of the image are in focus, especially if you used a technique called 'focus, then recompose'. I don't think there is a plugin that can show you which part(s) of the image are in focus, by the way.

If the focus point is not sharp....you can see what is after in LR
Must be close by. Or it is way off.

Last edited:
If you 'focus, then recompose', you do the following: you first aim your camera at the subject and focus, then you lock focus and move the camera so that the subject is no longer underneath that focus point. In Lightroom, you can highlight that focus point with the plugin, but it won't be over the place you really focused on.

It's a shame really, and I'd love Lightroom to offer something like CaptureOne's focus mask.

John

Yes I am talking about capture ones focus mask.. nto showing the focus point I used in my camera....
I guess it should be somewhere implemented as plugin

The math to determine the focus point must be impressive. Also, how does it deal with multiple focus points used by the camera and the camera then averages. The result is nothing is in perfect focus?

Tim

It ignores focus points and just analyses local sharpness in the image. It's not perfect, but one doesn't need perfect. A couple of green blobs over the eyes in one frame quickly tells you it's sharper than the following frames where the green blobs are on the background, for instance.

I hope this post would get attention from adobe to implement such a useful feature
Alex

Adobe very rarely visit here. If you want to make an official feature request, use the link at the top of the page.

Maybe this plug-in can fulfill the requests?

http://www.capturemonkey.com/focusmask
(Lightroom plugin for previewing in-focus areas)
Here a part of description from author:
The plugin opens with either single image, or several, depending on your
current selection. In single image mode, the photo is shown in larger
size, and in multiple images, the view can be scrolled. Currently, the
amount of images is restricted to 32.

On top of each image, you can see a pure red mask, which indicates the
areas with most detail. Note that this does not necessarily mean that your
image has acceptable sharpness, but it is generally a good indication of
how sharp the image is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back