Restore original filenames

Status
Not open for further replies.

rctneil

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Hello,

Before I used LR, I stored all my photos in a simple folder structure and renamed each one depending on it's content. Now they are all organised in LR, I want to restore to the old original camera created filename. I see the "Original Filename" field in the metadata panel. How can I select a bunch of images and restore the old filename to them all?

Are you familiar with simple programming - JavaScript, VB, Applescript etc. You won't need to know anything, but it helps me know how much I will need to explain. And did my steps above make sense to you?

That's OK. I'll make it as clear as I can, and make sure you backup your catalogue and try the method on a few pictures first. What OS are you using?

OK, I attach the script which has installation instructions at its top. I've also recorded a quick video which shows the whole process https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpz9gVVaGuI

Ensure you backup your catalogue first, put the dummy.jpg on the desktop, and test the full workflow on a few pictures. And if it isn't clear, please ask.

Attachments

• Create dummy DNGs for missing renamed files.txt
    1.9 KB · Views: 209
  • dummy.jpg
    dummy.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 178
Hi again!
I don't know what going wrong, but this don't work on me!
First of all, when i run the script it never create a new folder in desktop with the "dummy" files and the script just replace the files i import to lightroom with "dummy" file with the renamed name... not with the preserved name!!!
For example: the camera file is the p85_1475.nef, the rename file that i don't have it is G&I-2046. When i run the script, just replace the P85_1475.NEF with a G&I-2046.nef

Last edited:
That's correct. My missing folder was on the desktop, yours may not be missing, and may be elsewhere. Yes, the script does put the dummy files with the renamed names - that is explained in the video. You probably need to watch the second half again.

Last edited:
Great. Sometimes people are in your problem because they lost the folders too, so one step is to rebuild the original folder paths - but sometimes one can show too much and just confuse the viewer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back