Recovery??

Status
Not open for further replies.

herb

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
I am reading David Duchemin's book or using LR-he references the Recovery slider, which I don't see in LR 5.
What do I do to emulate Recovery?

The recovery slider (amongst others) disappeared in Lr4 with the introduction of Process 2012.
There is no slider in Lr4 or Lr5 that directly emulates the recovery slider.
My suggestion is to find a more up to date primer on Lightroom: Jeff Schewe's The Digital Negative comes to mind.
Or look at the tutorials from the Luminous Landscape for an easy to follow introduction to the workflow.

In general, the idea with Process 2012 is to make most of the tonal changes with exposure and contrast and then move in a literal top-down approach fine tune with the next four sliders: Highlights, Shadows, Whites and Blacks.

Tony Jay

In LR3, the Recovery slider was used in conjunction with Fill Lights, Blacks and Brightness. These four were replaced with Highlights, Shadows Whites and Blacks. Only Blacks behaves in LR4&5 similar to how it did in LR3. Highlights and Shadows handle the Brightness, Recovery and Fill Light functions but approach it differently from the older Process version. It does not take a book to figure out yourself how these functions work in concert. Pay careful attention to the histogram and turn on the clipping indicators. With the exposure slider attempt to move the bell shape of the histogram to the right of center but if possible no more than 80% of the graph. If you have white end clipping move the Whites slider to the left until the clipping indicator indicates little or no clipping. Move the Highlights slider to the left to fine tune and to preserve detail in the light areas of the image. For black end clipping, move the Blacks slider to the right . Then to bring out details in the shadows, move the Shadows slider to the right to show more detail in the shadows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back