Re-size an Image in Lightroom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lnicole

This seems like a basic question, but I can't find the exact answer I'm looking for. :)

I'm organizing my textures database. I make textures and I usually need to do some editing on the textures I've photographed. I've been doing most of the edits in Photoshop and then saving that - but it's occurred to me that this may not be necessary when the edits are minor. Contrast, minor retouch, etc can definitely be handled in LR, but I like all of my ready to use textures to be an exact pixel dimension. If I crop in LR, can I re-size within LR or do I have to open as a PS and save that file?

I'm using LR 2.7

To further clarify: cropping in LR only affects the aspect ratio of the image, not the actual "size". When you export, you can specify a size in pixels.

[quote author=lnicole link=topic=1'927.msg73544#msg73544 date=1283586'5']
That's what I thought, but was hoping otherwise. I'll have to open in Photoshop and re-size and save. hmmm, might be a feature request candidate.
[/quote]What would you request? That LR include resizing? It already does.

[quote author=lnicole link=topic=1'927.msg73511#msg73511 date=12835'3254]
I'm organizing my textures database. I make textures and I usually need to do some editing on the textures I've photographed. I've been doing most of the edits in Photoshop and then saving that - but it's occurred to me that this may not be necessary when the edits are minor. Contrast, minor retouch, etc can definitely be handled in LR, but I like all of my ready to use textures to be an exact pixel dimension. If I crop in LR, can I re-size within LR or do I have to open as a PS and save that file?
[/quote]

All of the edits you make within LR are virtual until you export the file. When you export you can set the size of the exported file. So make your contrast, retouch, and cropping changes in LR. Then in the export dialog set the file size. SAVE that export as a preset if you want all your textures to always be this size. Then they will always be exported (saved to a file you can use elsewhere) at the size you want.

When you make edits in Photoshop, are you editing the source file, or making a copy? If you are editing the source file (e.g. you never want to keep/save your unedited version), then you need to export the changed file and check the checkbox to "add this file to the lightroom catalog" and then delete the original. Or you can export with a file suffix (e.g. filename-edited) that tells you that you have processed this file, while saving your source (original) textures in case you want to edit them again later with improved software (which is the recommended system).

(Many years ago I rented a top-of-the-line camera and shot some portraits. I never thought one day I'd be using this new type of software with improved RAW interpreters, so I just used the software that came with the camera to make .tiff files and deleted the RAW files. I *really* regret that decision, and wish I had those RAW files to process all over again with today's software!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back