Re-Link XMP file to Image

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

danadron

I recently lost/deleted (by accident) a catalog in lightroom. I still have all of the RAW images and their corresponding XMP files of all of the edits i made. I tried to reimport the images and xmp files into a new catalog but only the RAW files import. how do I relink the RAW files to their corresponding XMP files so I can see my edits again??? I'm very frustrated that I can't seem to figure this out. Please help!

The xmp files need to reside in the same folder as the RAW files. If they are and you can't see your edit then click on the "read metadata from file" menu option. If that does not work then its possible that your xmp files were not updated ! Good luck.

yeah they're in the same folder and nothing's working to get them to link up again. Thanks for the help though! Anyone else???

Just a couple of possibilities / pointers

1. Are the xmp file names still the same as the RAW file names.
2. Do the xmp file dates match roughly when you would have last saved them ? is it possible you that could have over written them with the default LR settings when you re-installed.

They are the same file names as the images. I'm not sure of the date. If they imported the second time with the default, would that rewrite all of those xmp files???

[quote author=danadron link=topic=93'3.msg62662#msg62662 date=12677937'7]
They are the same file names as the images. I'm not sure of the date. If they imported the second time with the default, would that rewrite all of those xmp files???
[/quote]

This should not cause them to be overwritten...they would only overwrite if LR decided (or you prompted LR) to write to xmp before your previous edits had been brought into LR. Something similar happened to me once and I never did get to the bottom of it. Fortunately I had backed up my xmp files and I just needed to copy them back to the correct folder and then prompt "read from metadata".

Unfortunately it looks like the xmp files that you have do not contain your latest edits. They (your xmp files) may have been created when you originally installed the RAW files but for some reason never got updated. It may be that your edits were only saved in the LR catalogue itself.

If your general computer skills are up to it, you can have a peek at some of the XMP files with any generic text editor. The 'encoding' used to track the adjustments to your images is almost plain English. Have a quick look, particulary with any image you're very familiar with, and see if the XMP corresponds with the changes you remember making.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back