problems reloading images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Kaplan

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
I have been having problems uploading my library to populate in a reasonable time. I have about 40,000 images. I used to be able to get my library up and running quickly, but now it is taking forever. I checked my documents files in the Apple menu and found many copies of saved LR backups. Some going back to 2013. I have eliminated some of them but I still have about 20 or so left. I did this hoping it would speed up the performance, but so far no luck. Also, what happens is that when I finally get my library and I choose some images to work with, and I might want to go to a new location ,it is as if I am starting to populate the library once again with only placeholders to look at. If anyone has ideas as to a solution I would be forever grateful.

Check the free space on the primate volume. You need about 100GB free. LR requires a lot of free space for temporary files. When this is not available, the whole process will slow down.
Your Lightroom Forums profile is incomplete. Adobe has worked a lot on performance improvements. LRCC2015.10.1/LR6.10.1 is probably most efficient Previous updates to LR6 not so much. LR 4 or 5 even less so. Also LR operates most efficiently with a 64 bit multi core CPU of at least 4 cores and can take advantage of up to 6 cores. I also recommend 16-32 GB of RAM. Less will cause the OS to start swapping RAM to disk slowing the machine down. This is also information that we could use from your user profile to better diagnose your issue. Otherwise, anyone that responds is guessing blind.

The "placeholders that you mention may be Preview thumbnails. If you don't have an up to date preview folder, LR will need to generate new previews in various sizes for all that are missing. If your master image files are on an external disk with a slow USB2 connection, OS X will be I/O bound trying to create these missing previews

I have been having problems uploading my library to populate in a reasonable time. I have about 40,000 images. I used to be able to get my library up and running quickly, but now it is taking forever. I checked my documents files in the Apple menu and found many copies of saved LR backups. Some going back to 2013. I have eliminated some of them but I still have about 20 or so left. I did this hoping it would speed up the performance, but so far no luck. Also, what happens is that when I finally get my library and I choose some images to work with, and I might want to go to a new location ,it is as if I am starting to populate the library once again with only placeholders to look at. If anyone has ideas as to a solution I would be forever grateful.
What information exactly do you need in order to respond properly? Thanks

What information exactly do you need in order to respond properly? Thanks
Simply complete the information requires in the LR user profile seen at the left of your messages or just supply it in the text of your message post.
We answer questions for people that have any one of 4 versions of LR. LR runs on two different Operating systems (Windows and Mac). Each OS can have several possible versions. Your current LR Forum Profile says that you have OS X 10.7. If you are on Mac OS X 10.7, or a 32 bit version of Windows, you can only run Lightroom 5 or earlier. Additionally, knowledge of your hardware (RAM, Cores, Storage available) is critical to providing the right answer to your question. So instead of providing only a general answer to your question it is necessary to first get you to provide this information and this slows down the process.

We may be called "Gurus" by Victoria, but none of us are "Carnac the Magnificent"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back