PC requirements?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NAJ

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Hello there,
I am a new user to this forum but have been using Lightroom to edit my photography for a few years now.
My PC is getting a bit long in the tooth and has become painfully slow, I slide a slider and it actually makes a change about 5 seconds later also it will not run the latest 2021 copy of Photoshop! Something to do with the Motherboard being too old I have found.

So the question I'm asking is, can anyone out there tell me what are the best specifications to aim for when putting together a new PC that can cope with Lightroom, Photoshop, CAD and CAM and run them faultlessly for a good few years at least before becoming obsolete?

Thanks
Neil.
P.S. Apologies if this is the wrong section of the Forum.

Briefly, a powerful and modern CPU (e.g. 9th or 10th generation i5/i7/i9), lots of RAM (16GB at an absolute minimum), an NVMe or SSD internal drive, and a graphics card that plays well with the software and hardware you are looking at. Your budget will dictate how this all comes together, but those are the primary performance components.

Good luck,

--Ken

Briefly, a powerful and modern CPU (e.g. 9th or 10th generation i5/i7/i9), lots of RAM (16GB at an absolute minimum), an NVMe or SSD internal drive, and a graphics card that plays well with the software and hardware you are looking at. Your budget will dictate how this all comes together, but those are the primary performance components.

Good luck,

--Ken
Thanks Ken.

Good luck,

--Ken
Please bear in mind that Puget Systems (below) and others recommend AMD CPUs these days. You have a choice of the older 3000 series or the newer (but may be hard to find) 5000 series. Also these days almost all graphics cards are in short supply, and online stores and eBay list cards for very high premiums over manufacturers selling recommended price or recommended retail price. If you can live with the performance, use the graphics card from your old PC for the next six months or so.

For using these tools you mentioned, you should use at least 16 gigs of RAM & use SSD for getting fast result. May be light room, Photoshop can handle lower than RAM & SSD but when you want to use CAD, CAM then you should have to change your pc or hardware what can give you the fast experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back