OK I Goofed - But How Do I Fix This?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharon

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
I thought as long as I opened a file in Lightroom and then edited in Photoshop all my changes would be saved. I wasn't aware that I shouldn't use "Save As" and rename the file. So now what happens is that on my pc when I search Lightroom in the hard drive, it sees the files. But when I am in the appropriate folder in Lightroom I don't see the files that I changed/edited in Photoshop. I even tried to import them but I get a message that they are already there. But when I look at the Library I don't see them. I can only view them when I go to Photoshop or my hard drive (C/My Pictures/Lightroom/folder name). How do I get these that I have edited and renamed back into the library?

And for future reference should I only rename files in Lightroom?

Thank you for putting this in the Top Ten Gotchas "Lightroom needs to know where the original files are, so don’t move or rename files outside of Lightroom (for example in Explorer or Finder) otherwise you’ll have a long job fixing all of the links.".. I thought I was losing it (my mind in addition to the files)...

Welcome to the forums, Sharon :)

Importing the images should work without problems after "Save as" in Photoshop, as they should not appear as duplicates if they have different file names.

Are you sure these images are not in LR already, and maybe you don't see them because of an active filter (i.e. on file type)? Have you tried viewing by using "All Photographs" and comparing the number shown in the folder panel versus the number showing just above the film strip?

And yes, renaming files should only be done from within LR.

Beat

Sharon, You can right click on the folder in the folder panel and choose {synchronize folder...} Any images in that folder not in LR will be listed and can be imported by clicking the {Synchronize} button.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back