no pctures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Kaplan

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
I have an additional 2 other issues besides being able to get rid of duplicate images. The first is that upon opening my new "clean" catalog I see no images at all when I open LR. None. I have closed LR and reopened it a few times and no images appear at all.In the last few days I have experienced LR crashing.... The image boxes are greyed out with no ? marks or any indication of a file number......So this is really weird. Yesterday all images were there , now none. The panels that list the collections are there as well as the total number of images, but I see no images at all. After I send this out to you, I will restart and try again. By the way if I try to open my "Main" catalog I am unable to see images there as well..

The second issue,assuming I can get my images back is that whenever I open LR many not all of the images in random collections have the indication ? mark which means that I have to try to locate a few images before it can find the balance of those images in a particular collection.It is as if LR is pointed in the wrong direction and cannot find my images. How can I fix this? I don't think thats the way LR was intended to work. Any thoughts on that?

Update... I restarted and all pictures came back, but now almost all of the 20,000 or so pictures indicate that they are offline. This is not right. LR can't find the images and I would have to do a search on each one.

Hmmm... my previous reply seems to have vanished...

Peter,

If your pictures are all under a top level folder, you can right click on it in lightroom and pick "Find Missing Folder", once you navigate to the correct top level folder, Lightroom should find and relink to all the pictures in the directory tree.

Dave.

It does find the pictures but when I open LR most every picture is offline...... is that normal or shouldn't I have all the pictures in my library available to me when I open LR?

Peter,
Where are you storing your image files?
If you are storing them on an external drive, you need to connect your external drive so LR can connect to them, or you'll get those ?s.
If you are not connected to the drive with the actual files, you may still see your PREVIEWS, but the previews are NOT your image files. They are generally stored in the same location as the Lightroom program files.

Last edited:
My image files are stored on an external hard drive. But that hard drive although it is connected and seems to be operating well has a "red" marker on its indicator so I have not been able to make it turn "green" I think that might not be right as my hard drive is "Green" and active. Is their something I need to do to make it "Green"? Or is this not a real issue?

Hi Peter,
Although I can't help you with troubleshooting the hard drive, that confirms my theory - that your hard drive is not making the connection with LR and that is why your photos are having issues.
Perhaps someone else here can help you with the hard drive issue. Once you fix that I think you'll find LR acting the way it should.

Peter, if it is showing in Finder or on the Desktop just eject it and plug it back in. Does it have some sort of "sleep" option?

If the indicator is showing "Red", that means that the drive IS connected but that it is full, i.e. there is no free disk space. If the drive is not connected, the icon will be black.

So if the drive is online, then that leaves the mystery of why all the photos are offline. So can you post a screenshot of the Folders Panel in Lightroom, and a screen shot of the Folder list using Finder.

file://localhost/Users/peterkaplan/Desktop/folders%20panel.tiff

file://localhost/Users/peterkaplan/Desktop/corrupted%20folder.tiff

file://localhost/Users/peterkaplan/Desktop/folders%20%232.tiff

Can you open these images?

No. Please see this post for instructions on how to take and post screenshots.

Last edited by a moderator:
file://localhost/Users/peterkaplan/Desktop/Screen%20Shot%202012-09-06%20at%2012.39.52%20PM.png
file://localhost/Users/peterkaplan/Desktop/Screen%20Shot%202012-09-06%20at%2012.40.59%20PM.png
file://localhost/Users/peterkaplan/Desktop/Screen%20Shot%202012-09-06%20at%2012.39.28%20PM.png

Hope this works better. Please note the shot with all the duplicate images. Why is this happening and how to lose them....Thanks

Screenshots are still not appearing. Have you followed the instructions correctly?

Screen Shot 2012-09-06 at 4.00.52 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2012-09-06 at 4.01.05 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2012-09-06 at 4.01.20 PM.jpg

I hope this is what you want. Notice the third one which has multiple copies...don't know why this is happening.

Looking at the first two screenshots, I see little evidence that "all 20,000 pictures are gone". Yes, there are a few folders with the '?' mark to indicate they are missing, but nothing else. Try clicking on "All Photographs" in the Catalog pane, then retake the screenshot.

The fact that the majority of the folders show a zero photcount could be that you have "Show Photos in Subfolders" unchecked in the Library menu.....if so, try checking that before you retake the screenshot.

The final screenshot is no help, it's not what I wanted to see, i.e. I wanted a comparison between Lightrooms Folders Panel, and Finder's view of the same Folders list. What you gave me is a list of files, not the containing folders.

Screen Shot 2012-09-07 at 9.43.35 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2012-09-07 at 9.43.47 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2012-09-07 at 9.43.55 AM.jpg

I checked that sub folder menu and as you can see, it populated those files. great! Thanks, but I'm having problems locating "all photographs" in the Catalog pane.... can you direct me here?
Also, I can see the LR Folder panel but I'm not sure where in the finder I need to look....

All photographs (from your own screen print): :)

no pctures - Mozilla Firefox_2012-09-07_10-58-25.jpg

Hal

Screen Shot 2012-09-07 at 5.22.37 PM.jpg

I'm having a bad day. Sorry. Is this what you want? It is a finders view of the "All Photographs" pane you mentioned. If not, I'm stumped. What I do not seem to get is why my Back up Disc is apparently not being seen by "All Photographs" It is always greyed out. I know it contains back ups of LR. Can you tell me what is going on here?

As for "All Photographs in the finder view , I see many multiples of the same image and some are RAW files. BTW how do you open them?

Thanks for your help......

Peter, we really aren't doing very well here....I'm still trying to get you to produce what I need to see in order to try to help, but for some reason I'm obviously not making myself very clear. That last screenshot is just not what I wanted or asked for. So let's start again:

In your initial post you said that you have a "new clean catalog" but that you can't see any images at all, and that's all I'm trying to address right now. I'm trying to get clear why exactly you can't see any images: is it because they are 'missing', or is it because you're simply not using Lightroom correctly? The first screenshots you gave me showed some missing folders, but the majority are not. So let's do one simple thing: in the Library module, go to Library>Find Missing Photos....this will create a special collection within the Catalog pane as per this screenshot:

Capture1.JPG

Please do that, and show me the results and we'll try to progress from there.

Just a thought and suggestion Jim, why don't you make a set of the screenshots you require, and post them so Peter can see what HE has to make screenshots of...

Good idea Chris....which is why I did that in my last post. :)

Thanks.

Just to clarify, this is a new 'clean' catalog, yes? How did you populate it with those 19000+ images, did you import them all anew, or did you import from another catalog? I'm trying to establish how more than 50% of your images are 'missing' so soon after the catalog was created. Do you have any idea?

Are the majority of them all on one particular drive? Suggest you do the following:

1. Right-click (Ctrl-click on a Mac) on the first drive (Peter's HD) in the Folders Panel and select "Photo Count" from the following option box. See screenshot:

Untitled.png

2. Then collapse the folders structure for each drive in the Folders Panel (click on the dark arrow on the drive header so that it points left), this will allow all the drives to be shown in one screenshot, like so:

Capture.JPG

This will perhaps help to figure out where most of the missing images should be, so that will concentrate the search for them.

Screen Shot 2012-09-08 at 10.47.49 AM.jpg

This is the photo count screen shot. I can only do tho one. The others are greyed out. They should be Time Machine and Desktop Backup Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back