• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

new hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

luciana.rizzi

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic updated
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
HI,
I stored my lightroom Catalogues , photos and back ups on an external main hard drive + a second hard drive which is a carbon copy cloner.
Unfortunately, the main hard drive as deteriorated and they are currently transferring everything to a new , larger hard drive - It seems that I caught the problem with the hard drive on time and my photos and lightroom data is still there.

My question is , once everything has been transferred to the new hard drive which will contain my photos, back ups and catalogues , what do I need to do to make Lightroom recognize the new hard drive? Also, my carbon copy cloner will be the same as before - will I need to reset it as well?
thank you so much for your input.
Luciana

In Finder you will see your volumes listed by name. This is the same name used in the Lightroom Folder panel.
  1. Using Finder, copy the old volume contents to the new volume.
  2. Still in Finder, rename the old volume to something else.
  3. Now rename the new volume to the old volume name.
  4. Restart MacOs
  5. Start Lightroom Classic .
  6. Lightroom will open the master catalog file and your folder panel will will show your folders. These will point to the volume name stored in the catalog database. This of course is the same volume name as before but now it points to the new volume.
The directions that Paul mentions is generic to both Windows and Mac. However in Windows the OS does not rely on Volume names but instead assigns Drive letters which complicate the process
Hello Cletus, I am grateful to find your directions here. I'm in the process of upgrading my 3 external hard-drives to a new larger, faster one merging all the folders but retaining the old drives as backups. I have copied everything through Finder and started to rename the old drives/ rename the new drive as you suggest and then I get stuck! Do I just repeat the name/rename process with the other drives? Also I'd like to choose a new name for my new drive which will be different to one of the copied drives. How do I change the drive name and still have LR recognise it?
Thanking you
Amanda

Do I just repeat the name/rename process with the other drives? Also I'd like to choose a new name for my new drive which will be different to one of the copied drives. How do I change the drive name and still have LR recognise it?
Renaming is done in MacOS Finder. The volumes are listed in the left panel of Finder. Right clicking the volume in the left panel will bring up a context menu with the menu item "Rename "YourVolumeName"" You can change the name of the volume here. But this will not update the path location that is stored in the Lightroom Catalog file.

Each volume that shows up in the folder panel corresponds to a MacOS filesystem volume. If you replace that volume with a new on but give it the name of the old one, then theLrC catalog file will still recognize the Volume name even though the Filesystem points to a different physical drive. This should not present a problem unless you choose a different volume name from the one that is stored as the path in the Lightroom Catalog file. If your volume is named something different from the volume name stored in the LrC catalog path, it will not show up in the LrC Folder panel and the folders that do will have a (?) beside them.
To fix this in the LrC catalog, you can right click on the Folder in the folder panel that have the (?) to bring up context menu and use the menu item "Find Missing Folder..." to navigate to that folder on the newly named volume.

Renaming is done in MacOS Finder. The volumes are listed in the left panel of Finder. Right clicking the volume in the left panel will bring up a context menu with the menu item "Rename "YourVolumeName"" You can change the name of the volume here. But this will not update the path location that is stored in the Lightroom Catalog file.

Each volume that shows up in the folder panel corresponds to a MacOS filesystem volume. If you replace that volume with a new on but give it the name of the old one, then theLrC catalog file will still recognize the Volume name even though the Filesystem points to a different physical drive. This should not present a problem unless you choose a different volume name from the one that is stored as the path in the Lightroom Catalog file. If your volume is named something different from the volume name stored in the LrC catalog path, it will not show up in the LrC Folder panel and the folders that do will have a (?) beside them.
To fix this in the LrC catalog, you can right click on the Folder in the folder panel that have the (?) to bring up context menu and use the menu item "Find Missing Folder..." to navigate to that folder on the newly named volume.
Thank you so much. I have everything where I want it now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back