New Computer - LR upgrade question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faxon

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Does my LR 1.1 have to be installed for me to install LR 4 upgrade? I have the original disc and password from the 1.1. I just upgraded computer OS to Win 7 specifically so I could run LR 4, and no programs are installed on it.

Welcome to the forum.

Does my LR 1.1 have to be installed for me to install LR 4 upgrade? I have the original disc and password from the 1.1. I just upgraded computer OS to Win 7 specifically so I could run LR 4, and no programs are installed on it.
I think LR1.x qualifies for an upgrade to 4.x. All you really need is the 24 digit serial number from your qualifying upgrade version and the 24 digit serial number of the LR4.x upgrade version. LR will ask you for both when upgrading. It will only do this when it can't find the original version installed

Thank you. Exactly the information I needed.

I think LR1.x qualifies for an upgrade to 4.x. All you really need is the 24 digit serial number from your qualifying upgrade version and the 24 digit serial number of the LR4.x upgrade version. LR will ask you for both when upgrading. It will only do this when it can't find the original version installed

Thanks. I have not received my upgrade software yet, and was wondering if I should install LR1.1 while waiting. Apparently, I have a choice, but I believe since LR1.1 doesn't run well on WIn7 I should just wait for the new software.

Last edited:
Personally I'd just download and install the LR4.3 version.....it will run for 30 days in "Trial" mode (which is no different to the licensed version, you just get the "Do you want to license or continue as a trial" message every time you start Lightroom). No need to install 1.1 first, just make sure the final 1.1 catalog is restored to the new system (and make sure you've got the license key handy)....after you install 4.3 and launch it, it will not detect any previous versions so will probably create a default empty catalog, so if you want to have it upgrade the 1.1 catalog simply do File>Open Catalog and point it to the 1.1 catalog and it should offer to upgrade it to LR4 version. The 1.1 catalog isn't changed, it will read it and create a new LR4 catalog, at the same time giving you the choice of name and location for the upgraded catalog.

So then you can get on with using/learning LR4 whilst waiting for your purchase to arrive....when it does you only need the serial number, pop that in at the startup prompt and it will then ask for the 1.1 serial number, pop that in and you're fully licensed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back