Status
Not open for further replies.

davidedric

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
I'm always surprised to see how many more guests than members there are online at any one time.
If there is a forum type of site that I use regularly, I join as a matter of course.
Other views? (I think only members can see the lounge, so this may be a bit biased!)

I've never looked (or at least not recently). Guests need to become members to post. We even have a lot of lurkers that are members.

It could be some people of leery of social web sites of any sort. They may not realize that their real name does not need to be shown in replies and comments.

I agree, it's nice to get to know the people responding to questions even if it's just by a screen name and avatar.

I "lurk" on many sites when I am just looking for information or when it come up in a list of search results. Given the nature of social media these days, I often prefer the thoughts and opinions of forum members to that of somebody of a certain age wearing a baseball cap and t-shirt shouting about "this bad boy" on YT.

--Ken

I "lurk" on many sites when I am just looking for information or when it come up in a list of search results. Given the nature of social media these days, I often prefer the thoughts and opinions of forum members to that of somebody of a certain age wearing a baseball cap and t-shirt shouting about "this bad boy" on YT.

--Ken
And I don't use FB at all, except for one photo-related private group. My wall is blank, I never read posts there, I have very few friends there, etc.

If it were not for this photo group, I would have already deleted my account. But, FB will track you anyway, account or not.

And I don't use FB at all, except for one photo-related private group. My wall is blank, I never read posts there, I have very few friends there, etc.

If it were not for this photo group, I would have already deleted my account. But, FB will track you anyway, account or not.
Looks like you and I could form a FB group - people with blank walls and minimally active or inactive accounts who hate FB!

--Ken

What's FB? :)
My first early experience of forums was Lr-Queen. I have stuck with LQ as a 'personal' and friendly place where I have learned much of my Lr knowledge.
Regards to all.

What's FB? :)
My first early experience of forums was Lr-Queen. I have stuck with LQ as a 'personal' and friendly place where I have learned much of my Lr knowledge.
Regards to all.
I am active and participate in approximately five forums, this being one of them. That is the extent of my "social media" other than the few blogging posts that I write from time to time, usually for a very limited audience. I believe that good forums with good members exemplifies "social media" done right. Posts are sincere, people's interests (if there are any) are generally known, and the conversation is not controlled or manipulated by some algorithm. No, it is not perfect, but I would take a good forum over almost any other social media medium unless I truly know who is publishing the information.

--Ken

Just a thought, but I usually keep a tab open on my browser for this site when I'm not logged in. I've always assumed that this makes me count as a "guest", but who knows.

Don't forget web crawlers and hackers. Both will connect to view sites. One for search engines the other for less useful reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back