Massive File Sizes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian_elaine.graham

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic 12.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
When I import images into Lightroom Classic, they are about 45 MB in size (Nikon D850, full size raw, 14 bit, Lossless compression, NEFs converted to DNG on import). However, when I go to 'edit in Photoshop', the file size increases significantly... eg 260 MB, even before doing any work. Is this normal? If not, what am I doing wrong? Many thanks for any help.

Yes, that is normal. When you open such an image in Photoshop, it will be converted from raw to RGB. Raw is one color per pixel, RGB is three colors per pixel. If Photoshop converts to 16 bits RGB/color, then that means the RGB file will be six bytes per pixel.

We're used to seeing raw files that are 20–50MB and JPEG files that are less than 2MB, so it’s common to think that is a “normal” range of file size, and that hundreds of MB are "excessive." But actually, the natural file size of an image is as Johan described, when you calculate the number of pixels, bits, and channels. Raw and JPEG can be smaller due to the compromises below.

Raw files are smaller because they are only one channel of unprocessed sensor data, at maybe 10 to 16 bits depending on the camera. The expansion from one sensor data channel to three RGB channels automatically triples the size. The size can go up some more if the bit depth goes up too, such as if the camera recorded at 10 bits per channel and it was converted to 16 bits per channel (and into three channels).

That expansion to RGB is necessary because if an application doesn’t edit raw files directly, the single channel raw file must be expanded to three RGB (or four CMYK) channels. Photoshop needs that because it can’t edit raw files directly, that is why it relies on Camera Raw or Lightroom to do the conversion to RGB. So the conversion, and the expanded file size, are unavoidable if going to Photoshop or any other non-raw photo editor.

And of course the compromise that lets JPEG files be so small is that JPEG uses lossy compression, losing a lot of the original data.

Yes, that is normal. When you open such an image in Photoshop, it will be converted from raw to RGB. Raw is one color per pixel, RGB is three colors per pixel. If Photoshop converts to 16 bits RGB/color, then that means the RGB file will be six bytes per pixel.
Thank you for this Johan. It's very helpful, and I now understand a bit more than I did.

We're used to seeing raw files that are 20–50MB and JPEG files that are less than 2MB, so it’s common to think that is a “normal” range of file size, and that hundreds of MB are "excessive." But actually, the natural file size of an image is as Johan described, when you calculate the number of pixels, bits, and channels. Raw and JPEG can be smaller due to the compromises below.

Raw files are smaller because they are only one channel of unprocessed sensor data, at maybe 10 to 16 bits depending on the camera. The expansion from one sensor data channel to three RGB channels automatically triples the size. The size can go up some more if the bit depth goes up too, such as if the camera recorded at 10 bits per channel and it was converted to 16 bits per channel (and into three channels).

That expansion to RGB is necessary because if an application doesn’t edit raw files directly, the single channel raw file must be expanded to three RGB (or four CMYK) channels. Photoshop needs that because it can’t edit raw files directly, that is why it relies on Camera Raw or Lightroom to do the conversion to RGB. So the conversion, and the expanded file size, are unavoidable if going to Photoshop or any other non-raw photo editor.

And of course the compromise that lets JPEG files be so small is that JPEG uses lossy compression, losing a lot of the original data.
Thank you for your comprehensive reply Conrad. At least I know what to expect now. PC upgrade I think! :)

Good explanation. Remember… when you add multiple pixel layers to, say, a 16 bit tiff psd, your file size will also increase dramatically.

My comfort is that only a small percentage of my images will get such a Ps treatment and the improved filters in Lr reduces the number of round trips to Photoshop anyway.

Oh, there is one more thing…

In recent years, file sizes have exploded because of rapidly advancing technology and higher expectations. I just looked back at the files from my first Canon digital SLR in the mid-2000s. The raw files were under 8MB, and the RGB TIFF files from those raw files could be under 13MB. How can that be?

It’s because it was just an 8-megapixel sensor, and back then a lot of TIFFs were saved at 8 bits per channel. Now we shoot with sensors that record 20 or 50 or 100 megapixels, and many of us require RGB TIFFs that are 16 bits per channel. So our equipment specs and production requirements are multiples of what they used to be; do the math on those and the resulting TIFF files are many times larger than what they were just a few years ago.

My comfort is that only a small percentage of my images will get such a Ps treatment and the improved filters in Lr reduces the number of round trips to Photoshop anyway.

Yes…every raw file that no longer has to go to Photoshop because of Lightroom Classic improvements, saves a lot of storage space that it would have needed as a Photoshop or TIFF document. I have found 10–15 year old Photoshop documents that only existed because of a layer that was doing something Lightroom could not do back then with a raw file. I have thrown out a number of them because whatever local adjustment or mask was done in Photoshop in like 2009 can now be done easier and faster with the raw file in Lightroom Classic alone, so I remaster the raw image and save some space.

Oh, there is one more thing…

In recent years, file sizes have exploded because of rapidly advancing technology and higher expectations. I just looked back at the files from my first Canon digital SLR in the mid-2000s. The raw files were under 8MB, and the RGB TIFF files from those raw files could be under 13MB. How can that be?

It’s because it was just an 8-megapixel sensor, and back then a lot of TIFFs were saved at 8 bits per channel. Now we shoot with sensors that record 20 or 50 or 100 megapixels, and many of us require RGB TIFFs that are 16 bits per channel. So our equipment specs and production requirements are multiples of what they used to be; do the math on those and the resulting TIFF files are many times larger than what they were just a few years ago.

True enough, but disk drive capacities (for 3.5" spinning rust) have also exploded.

In the USA, I can now get a high performance 20TB drive for under $400. https://www.newegg.com/wd-ultrastar...6822234531?Item=9SIA2W0JRV6107&quicklink=true

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back