• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Mac OS Mojave User Account Not Allowing Adobe Lightroom CC Classic Presets To Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

nataworry

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
LR Classic CC Desktop 8.0
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
Hi.

I switched from LR6 to LR Classic CC desktop 8.0 very recently (I'm running Mac Mojave on an iMac) and now the presets (both LR basic presets and my own) don't work. I will click on a preset and the preview of my image will show the preset effect but the effect actually doesn't "stick". And the history panel doesn't show that I ever clicked on the preset. This is irrespective of a catalog template that I re-use or a brand new catalog. After multiple calls with Adobe, and most recently spending 1.5 hours on the phone with Adobe today the following conclusion was reached and Adobe told me they couldn't provide me further assistance as my issue is an Apple/Mac issue. This is how Adobe came to the conclusion:

Adobe shared my screen and saw that while I was logged into my iMac with my usual user account that clicking on a preset produced no result. Adobe then had me create a new Mac user account "AdobeTest" and after I logged into my iMac under that user account we opened LR Classic CC using the same LR catalog I used moments before that and when I clicked on a built-in LR preset the effect worked. Thereafter Adobe concluded my issue isn't an Adobe CC software issue but rather some sort of issue with my Mac OS Mojave User Account that I always use for all of my computer needs (vs. the "AdobeTest" account). He suggested I use the AdobeTest account when I want to use LR and that isn't a reasonable solution. I need my personal user account to allow LR Classic CC to function to its full capacity alongside all of the other things I have set up under that user account.

To that end, does anyone have a clue as to why my Apple user account won't allow LR presets to function? They worked just fine under LR 6.0 before I upgraded. I need a fix. :0(

Sometimes the user Preferences fill will get corrupted. Lightroom will recreate one if it does not find the one that was being used. You can find yours in the folder ‎⁨Macintosh HD⁩ ▸ ⁨Users⁩ ▸{Your UserName}⁩ ▸ ⁨Library⁩ ▸ ⁨Preferences⁩. The file name for version 8 should be "com.adobe.LightroomClassicCC7.plist". or something similar. Rename it to force LR to create a new one on startup and see if this clears your preset problem.

Sometimes the user Preferences fill will get corrupted. Lightroom will recreate one if it does not find the one that was being used. You can find yours in the folder ‎⁨Macintosh HD⁩ ▸ ⁨Users⁩ ▸{Your UserName}⁩ ▸ ⁨Library⁩ ▸ ⁨Preferences⁩. The file name for version 8 should be "com.adobe.LightroomClassicCC7.plist". or something similar. Rename it to force LR to create a new one on startup and see if this clears your preset problem.
Thank you for your time. Interesting result I think you may be on to something yet the end result/problem remains.

I renamed the original file and only added my name "NATA" into the filename vs. deleting/copying, etc. I read on another LR page that you shouldn't delete those files. So the file name went from:
com.adobe.lightroomCC.mcat-daemon.plist
to
com.adobe.lightroomCCNATA.mcat-daemon.plist
I restarted LR and I kept my eye open on the Library folder and upon restart it created com.adobe.LightroomClassicCC7.plist which I find interesting since I'm running the latest/greatest CC Classic version 8. And the previous .plist file didn't even have a version number (e.g., 7) in it - just "lightroomCC".

Thoughts?

Someone from another forum found the solution - resetting preferences worked!!!!! I can't believe Adobe didn't recommend that to me. I have spent many hours troubleshooting this by myself, on forums, and via 2.5 hours on the phone with Adobe over multiple days and I would think this would have been part of the first line of defense for this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back