LR corrupting DNG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braders

This is a first, for me at least.

Went into one of my folders and found a curious !

When i click on it....

Library
"Lightroom has encountered problems reading this photo. You will not be able to make adjustments to this photo"

Develop
"The file appears to be unsupported or damaged"

Made a copy of the file, could not open in PS. Imported the copy into LR and the same thiing.

Note:
DNG files (RAW CR2's Embedded)
No develop changes had ever been made. Only keywords and metadata applied.
This is NEW. The same image had no such ! in the past.

Resolution
I extracted the embedded CR2 file from the DNG using the converter. Re-imported the CR2 (converting to DNG) and NO issues with the file.

ummm DNG, you have lost my unwavering support....WTF

Brad,

Files can go bad on disk. Numerous reasons, mostly hardware. Personally, I'd treat it as the proverbial canary in the coal mine, and I'd run thorough memory and disk diagnostics.

Hal

p.s. In DNG's favour, they carry a checksum that enables LR to know when they've become corrupt.

Last edited:
This may not fit your symptoms exactly, since you were able to extract a healthy CR2, but I tend to agree with Hal. Whenever I've noticed a symptom like that, it was a disk-drive getting ready to cough up a lung. Has happened twice to me in the last 2 or 3 years. Lr showed the problem far in advance of any other software I normally use, including the OS. Particularly unexplained slowness, and seemingly erratic Lr operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back