• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Local storage options - smart previews?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotthunter3

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
I would like to know if I can uncheck the option for Storing a Copy of All Smart Previews Locally in the Local Storage options menu in Lightroom and what implications, if any, this may cause. I do not wish to use Smart Previews at all hence why I have moved away from Lightroom Classic. I only wish to work with original RAW images on my Macbook, iPad and iPhone. I have already selected Store a Copy of All Originals on my MacBook HD so presumably this is all I need for faster local editing on my MacBook?

Also, why has Lightroom created a random folder called 298c618d2b6048cf8cd87a8da84694ed under Lightroom Saved Photos > Lightroom CC, inside of which are folders original > year > individual folders for each day, which contain my photos. Can someone explain the logic behind the naming of this sub folder as it seems a bit superfluous and random. I did not tell Lightroom to create this folder.

Many thanks.

I would like to know if I can uncheck the option for Storing a Copy of All Smart Previews Locally in the Local Storage options menu in Lightroom and what implications, if any, this may cause.
It's an option, so yes you can uncheck it. If you have all the originals stored locally there shouldn't be any implications in unchecking it.

Also, why has Lightroom created a random folder called 298c618d2b6048cf8cd87a8da84694ed under Lightroom Saved Photos > Lightroom CC, inside of which are folders original > year > individual folders for each day, which contain my photos. Can someone explain the logic behind the naming of this sub folder as it seems a bit superfluous and random. I did not tell Lightroom to create this folder.
It the means by which only the originals specific to your Adobe ID are stored under the Lightroom CC folder. Bear in mind you could use more than one ID on a system, originals for which would be stored under the same Lightroom CC folder, hence the intermediate folder with hex-based name maintains separation. If you use the Lightroom desktop app on a second system, you will find the identically-named folder would be created there.

It's an option, so yes you can uncheck it. If you have all the originals stored locally there shouldn't be any implications in unchecking it.

Thanks, I just wasn’t sure if LR reverted to using them instead of originals when this option was enabled. But as the originals are stored locally I don’t see why both of these options would need to be enabled.

It the means by which only the originals specific to your Adobe ID are stored under the Lightroom CC folder. Bear in mind you could use more than one ID on a system, originals for which would be stored under the same Lightroom CC folder, hence the intermediate folder with hex-based name maintains separation. If you use the Lightroom desktop app on a second system, you will find the identically-named folder would be created there.

This makes sense. However, is there no option to adopt the same folder structure as Classic i.e. separate folders for each month?

Thanks, I just wasn’t sure if LR reverted to using them instead of originals when this option was enabled. But as the originals are stored locally I don’t see why both of these options would need to be enabled.
To be honest, I can't remember if the SPs are still generated an used when the original is available. If the originals are not available, an SP is generated and used first while the original is downloaded and converted for use....but in your intended method you should be OK.

This makes sense. However, is there no option to adopt the same folder structure as Classic i.e. separate folders for each month?
No, there's only the one standard dated-folder scheme available. Part of the rationale is because feedback from a lot of potential Lightroom users (i.e. LR6 at that time) was that they were put off by the thoughts of catalog and file-management which LR6 required to some extent. So the design for the new Lightroom "cloudy" desktop app was to hide all that from the user, so they don't have to worry about it. Those more experienced users, well versed in file/catalog management, likely find that approach restrictive....but it's unlikely that Adobe will bring back all the options that exist in Classic, so we either have to deal with it or look for an alternative solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back