Lightroom will not open after a failed system restore

Status
Not open for further replies.

STiZzle2010

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Hello everyone! I'm new here and I hope that I'm posting in the right area. If not, moderators please move.

A few days ago while editing, my computer froze and I could not do anything so I forced the system to shut down. When I restarted, the computer froze again a few minutes after it booted. I tried again (forced shutdown) and it would not boot up normally so I restarted and I was able to boot into safe mode. From there I tried doing a system restore but for whatever reason, it failed and my computer kept freezing upon boot. I was able to get my computer to a place for repair and they confirmed that my hard drive and all of my hardware is working. The issue was a virus which has been removed.

Now when I try to open Lightroom, an error message appears saying that it cannot load the catalog. I've located .lrcat files under a Lightroom folder both on my computer's hard drive as well as my external. I've tried loading these manually but the same result happens. It does give me the option to open a new catalog but I assume that I will lose all of my edits up until now if I choose this option.

I'm using an Asus gaming laptop running Windows 7-64 bit and I'm using the latest version of Lightroom through the Adobe Creative Cloud. I have a ton of work to do this week and this is causing me to have a meltdown lol! Can anyone help?

My first recommendation would be to uninstall LR using Adobe CC, then download a new copy and reinstall it again.

It is entirely possible that your LR catalog file was corrupted by the OS crashes. How recent is your most recent backup catalog file? You may need this.
But first Look in the folder where you have located your catalog file. Is there another file in that folder with your catalog file name and an extension of ".lock"? If so this could be your problem You can remove the ".lock" file and try again.

For your urgent work this weekend, Start a new catalog. You can import the new images into this new catalog and when we get the old catalog sorted out, we can merge the two.

It is entirely possible that your LR catalog file was corrupted by the OS crashes. How recent is your most recent backup catalog file? You may need this.
But first Look in the folder where you have located your catalog file. Is there another file in that folder with your catalog file name and an extension of ".lock"? If so this could be your problem You can remove the ".lock" file and try again.

For your urgent work this weekend, Start a new catalog. You can import the new images into this new catalog and when we get the old catalog sorted out, we can merge the two.

Oh, this is great news to hear! I will check and let you know. I'm happy to hear that I can at least get my work done, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back