• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Lightroom to PS to Lightroom - image not appearing Library

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCHiker

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom CC Classic v8
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
When I take an image from LR to PS, edit, and click Save, the edited image does not appear in the Library module. The edited file is in my files next to the original image, so it is being edited and saved. It says it has already been imported to LR but I can't find it or see it.

What usually happens is that the file is in Lightroom, but it isn’t shown where you expect it. Maybe your sort order is set so that the file appears as last or first image in the grid, rather than next to the raw file. Or you have an active filter, which filters out the new file.

Just to check, how are you closing/saving the open file in Photoshop? And what container are you showing in Lightroom after you've closed the file in Photoshop?
It may take several seconds for the Photo to show up in Lightroom. It should show stacked with the Photo you sent to Photoshop if you selected "Edit a copy" to send it to Photoshop.

Yes it does take time. The OP said they used Save. Also the Stack With Original should be checked in Preferences - External Editing. Where can I find "Edit a copy"? I use the edit in PS command. Thanks

Right. I was thinking you were using the command on the top bar. It threw me off. I used it get it with PS 2018 but I'm not getting it with 2019. I haven't used it since reading this thread. Actually thanks for the unplanned heads up. Gotta figure out why.

It is retaining LR edits so could be a new PS 2019 thing. Might be a new preferences somewhere.

You only get that dialog when you edit an RGB file (jpeg, tiff, psd), not when you edit a raw file.

Hmmm. It aways showed in 2018. Nothing has changed. In LR preferences is still set to TIFF but it opens a CR2. After saving it does open as a TIFF in LR.

Hmmm. It aways showed in 2018. Nothing has changed. In LR preferences is still set to TIFF but it opens a CR2. After saving it does open as a TIFF in LR.
No, it didn't show in 2018 either for a raw file. I remember that this dialog showed very early on (with only the first option possible in case of a raw file), but that was changed a long time ago.

The CR2/TIFF confusion is explained as follows. When you send a raw file from Lightroom to Photoshop, Lightroom tells Photoshop to open the raw file using Camera RAW with the Lightroom settings (but without showing the ACR dialog). Because the file has not been saved yet, you will first see the original file extension (.CR2) in the Photoshop window title, but Photoshop cannot and will not save it like that. When you hit 'Save', Photoshop will use the file format that you set in the Lightroom preferences, being either TIFF or PSD.

I'm OK with what happens between the transfers. I just said everything was normal. I don't use that command very often anymore. I used to because of my dislike for LR's cloning but a while ago I forced myself to learn how to use it. I still really don't like it. If I'm working in PS it s usually for a specific reason and I open in ACR. Oh well it is not a big deal.

When I SAVE the file in Photoshop, I go to file and choose SAVE. I do not get any dialog boxes. It is a CR2 file and was set to the Lightroom default file selections for export to Photoshop. The file is edited in Photoshop and the edited file does appear in the same file location as the original RAW file. It says it has been imported. I have looked at the top and bottom of the filtered group where the original is shown and it is not there. I have searched for the file by the original file number in Library mode and it finds only the original. It was happening before these latest Lightroom and Photoshop updates and continues to be a problem. There is no stack appearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back