Lightroom Histogram

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JimInWoodstock

I need some clarification about the histogram in Lightroom. I am looking at a RAW file that has shadows clipped, according to the histogram. If I increase the exposure, I can see detail in the shadows that are shown as clipped. It is my understanding that once part of an image is clipped, there is no information in that part and it is forever lost. The same thing, of course, applies to images that have the highlights clipped. I have an image with some highlights shown as clipped, but lowering the exposure shows detail in those areas. So what is the histogram in lightroom really showing me? When the histogram shows an image to be clipped on either side, there is obviously additional information in the image "outside" of the histogram.

Welcome to Lightroom Forums!

The histogram is an approximation of the file as currently shown, with adjustments as currently set. If you were to export the file and there is clipping at the highlight end, then those areas will indeed be fully white.

However, in Lightroom you've still got the underlying raw file. If you decrease the exposure that raw data is still there, and Lightroom will show it to you.

Remember, the adjustments aren't baked in until you export. And a caveat: The histogram is just an approximation. The actual results will depend on the color space you choose; this difference is why people ask for soft proofing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back