Lightroom Catalog Workflow

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSK

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Hello Community of LR users, I'm happy to be aboard!

I'm upgrading my 10 yr old iMac and 8 yr old iOmega external Firewire HDs to:
1. 2017 500GB SSD iMac (apps only - maybe LR Catalog)2. 4TB G-Tech Thunderbolt3 G-Drive (Data - docs only)
3. 4TB G-Tech Thunderbolt3 G-Drive (RAW photos only)
4. 8TB G-Tech Thunderbolt3 G-Drive (Carbon Copy Cloner backup drive - for data and photos).
5. 2TB drive that backs up iMac only via Time Machine

To obtain optimum speed, I'm wondering where to put my LR Catalog and the backup catalog. I can see putting the Catalog on the SSD iMac for performance, but what happens if I need to take it in for service? Should I have yet another small separate SSD drive that's only function is to house the LR catalog?

And I'm thinking to backup the catalog to the Time Machine Drive.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

Attachments

• Computer Workflow.jpg
    Computer Workflow.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 506
Hi RSK,
LR catalog always on SSD and photo files on another drive. I use a external drive. Are you considering revision history in your backup workflow? Why expensive thunderbolt external drives for backup? You need speed in your main drive but for backup you could use a normal/reliable hdd. Maybe a NAS in raid and a backup of the NAS to be keep offline in a different location+cloud storage (crashplan, iDrive, other) Consider the possibility of a catastrophic event (fire for ex.) in the place were you store laptop, main drive and backup...and make a offline backup. I do a offline backup every 90 days. Other could do weekly...your decision.

...but what happens if I need to take it in for service?

You should backup photo files, catalog and all LR presets. If needed you could import all settings, files, etc, to a new machine with LR. I do a catalog and presets backup every week.

You could also do system image backup (files and software) for faster restore in a new machine. I do a new system image every 90 days.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thank you for the feedback, and great point on the CCC backup drive. I only envisioned a TB3 drive to keep in the new TB3 ecosystem, but for sure a less expensive USB option is prudent.

Going back to the location for the LR catalog, I've heard some photographers chose a small external SSD (maybe 500gb) and that way they can plug and play with their laptop as well as the desktop. In the end, I don't use my laptop for LR too often and just want the drive to be fast and stable.

I don't have the option of storing an archive drive offsite, but have all but decided on Backblaze. Just can't imagine how long it will take to back up 1.5TB of photos...

Going back to the location for the LR catalog, I've heard some photographers chose a small external SSD (maybe 500gb) and that way they can plug and play with their laptop as well as the desktop. In the end, I don't use my laptop for LR too often and just want the drive to be fast and stable.

Not sure how it works for them...but i use my catalog in a laptop ssd500gb.

You can easily sync it to another desktop, or several other equipments...so no need to put it in another external drive...i think.

I don't have the option of storing an archive drive offsite, but have all but decided on Backblaze. Just can't imagine how long it will take to back up 1.5TB of photos...

Not sure if Backblaze is a good option for more then a 1Tb, just compare prices and features. Crashplan is the best but for around 120$/year.

For a 20Mb connection around 60 day i believe...but some company's provide a service that allows to backup to a hdd and send them the drive.

Lots of useful data here:

QNAP NAS Community Forum - Login

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back