How do you deal with videos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rctneil

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Hey, Just would like some people's thoughts on this situation:

I take a number of small video clips using my cameras which are between 5 seconds to around 1 minute or just over. Just small videos to help me remember the moment. I do this with my my Nikon D7000, Sony RX100 and iPhone 5S. Obviously the photos and videos from these three devices are all imported into LR and managed in there.

However, I have started to set up a Plex media server and it's working really nicely so far and as Plex has a library type of "Home Videos", I thought "Why not create a Plex library pointing to my top level Lightroom photos folder". I called this library "LR Videos" and told Plex it contains videos. In Plex I can see all the videos in the library. When I try to play them however Plex complains it cannot play the type.

Now, my issue is that: I could export the videos, do a conversion and store them elsewhere. This would allow Plex to be able to play them but unfortunately would have the side effects of the videos being duplicated on my drive and them not being stored along with my photos (ie: losing their contexts). I could delete the originals and add the converted videos back to LR but I thought the idea with LR was that it allows you to manage your photos and videos non destructively and this sort of defeats the point slightly.

How do you deal with this issue? My ultimate goal would be to have these small videos managed by LR in their original formats and for Plex to be able to play them but it doesn't look like this is going to be possible.

I look forward to hearing some of your ideas here!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
But doesn;t that defeat the object of keeping LR non destructive if you are losing the original raw videos?

But doesn;t that defeat the object of keeping LR non destructive if you are losing the original raw videos?

If I choose not to put them there, it's not lightroom's fault. "Non-destructive" is a feature not a religion.

But if you want to save the original, save it also in the same place.

I created a publish service with both videos and images.
It is limited based on the star ratings and a few other items. Then when done, I just select publish.

I would not point Plex to my master image folder because I do not consider every image I keep worth publishing...

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back