• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Export Export Catalog Folder Structure to Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgmcleod

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
I have a series of collections in a folder structure. I'd like to export that structure to an excel sheet. I' want to create a checklist of metadata I need to add to each folder and file. So, for example I have a series of scans with no date and no location. I'd like to methodically go through the entire collection and include all the data I decide I need. Then I check off that folder and move to the next one, and so on. Until I'm done. Without the checklist, I'll never know if I'm done. Export just at the folder level is all that is needed. The screen shot attached is part of the Collection folder structure. Thx much in advance. BTW, there's probably 600-700 folders

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 6.37.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 6.37.05 PM.png
    64.1 KB · Views: 176
Just for reference, containers in the Collections Panel are called "Collection Sets" (not folders even though they look and act like folders). When you use the word "Folder" in relation to LrC, we think you're talking about what you see in the "Folders" panel.

If the purpose of the Excel is merely to function as a check list, it is much easier to use "Folder" or "Collection Set" color labels to mark the ones you've completed as shown in this screen shot for the circled collection (Asia) for which I added a "red" color label. You can apply them to Collections, Collection Sets, and folders by right clicking on the item and selected from the context menu.

1596071461525.png

Thx for your reply. Much appreciated. I’ve used these color tags in the past and work great for single flags. I’m updating up to a dozen metadata items and need to track which ones are completed. In some cases I may be in the Map module just geotagging a set of images then move to date time editing, them move to keyword editing, the camera type etc. I’ve got about 90,000 images to update, many are scanned.

two things come to mind.
1) [Old school] Screen shot the LrC panel, print it on paper. use pencil to mark as desired

2) [New school] Use keywords on images as you go.

Even though your situation is a bit different than mine (I don't need to reset date/time or camera info) but is basically the same, you can take a look at a blog I wrote to aid me in managing my workflow and showing me very clearly what images have missed which steps. Right now (due to the Stay at Home orders) I'm pretty caught up but you can see my Smart Collections that will show me immediately what images have missed - or are in need of - which steps. As you can see below, there are 4 images that need a geo tag, need a "shoot" group keyword, need "location" group keywords, Need IPTC location info, and I haven't rated or stacked. There are also 683 two star images without a subject keyword (my current project), etc. You can read my blog on how I do this here: https://www.danhartfordphoto.com/blog/2013/5/lr004-use-lightroom-smart-collections-keywords-for-workflow

1596299879915.png

Thx Dan , this is very helpful. Appreciate all the footwork here. Been taking pictures since 1968 so I have a good collection of film plus digital. I see you're in Palo Alto. I'm in Austin, but originally from San Mateo.

I’m updating up to a dozen metadata items and need to track which ones are completed. In some cases I may be in the Map module just geotagging a set of images then move to date time editing, them move to keyword editing, the camera type etc. I’ve got about 90,000 images to update, many are scanned.
What i did to 'clean up' my legacy is adding 'helperkeywords' to all images like '@AddCameraType'.
At moments i have some time i will add the information to some images and afterwards i remove this helperkeyword from those edited images.
With a smart collection you can keep track of your progression.

Also take a look at the 'Workflow Smart Collection' to see what 's is possible in Lightroom to support your workflow

I have a Collections hierarchy that includes dozens of Collections Sets and Collections, and hundreds of Smart Collections. Like rgmcleod, I would like to export the structure as a CSV file to manipulate in Excel, but not not to use a checklist for which the use of colour labels looks useful. I want the data in a form that I can do my own organizing and analyses.
I would also like to be able to export the structure so that it could be imported into another Catalog, especially for the Smart Collections because there are so many that it took many, many hours to create al of the rules for inclusion. To create a new Catalog and recreate all of the Smart Collections rules is just not feasible. For example, as a bird photographer I have over 600 Smart Collections to organize by county and by species.
Can either of these tasks be done in Lightroom? Any ideas?

I would also like to be able to export the structure so that it could be imported into another Catalog, especially for the Smart Collections because there are so many that it took many, many hours to create al of the rules for inclusion. To create a new Catalog and recreate all of the Smart Collections rules is just not feasible. For example, as a bird photographer I have over 600 Smart Collections to organize by county and by species.
The most simple way to accomplish this is to make a copy of your present catalog and delete all images from it. Then import this catalog in the other catalog you want the structure in (File | Import from another catalog)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back