Status
Not open for further replies.

tspear

Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
I somehow managed to switch my camera to DNG and JPG; then without paying attention to the details I have imported a lot of the dual images.
The JPG is useless to me; since I only use the DNG to develop (I have DNG and JPG keep together on import).
I never noticed till watching my test restore and I saw a lot of JPG images scrolling by.

So, how do I cleanup/delete the JPG and not mess up the catalog? (I can program an application to find the duplicates if it is ok to just delete the JPG).

Tim

Hi Tim

Surely it would be possible to use the filter function in the Library module to find all the JPEGs.
Then CMD-A select all - remove from Lightroom (choose the option that removes the files from the disk).

If there is more to this - let us know.

Tony Jay

It depends on your setting for the preferences option "Treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate photos", though I'm guessing that it's unchecked? In which case you now have a lot of "DNG+Jpeg" pairs, and the Jpeg "half" can safely be deleted from outside Lightroom (can't be done from inside Lightroom), but still leaves the rather untidy "DNG+Jpeg" designation.

If you want to clean things up correctly, and if you can identify and isolate all those "pairs" in Lightroom, create a new empty folder on the same hard drive and then drag and drop the "pairs" to the new folder (so that you then have them all isolated into one folder). Then change the option setting to be checked, then right-click the folder in the Folders Panel and select "Synchronize Folder". Proceed with the synchronisation and that should do two things: import the jpegs as separate files, and update the entry for all the DNG halves to remove the "+ Jpeg" designation. Once the import has finished (you should be in the "Previous Import" collection with all the jpegs in the Grid), you can then Ctrl+A to select all the Jpegs, right-click, select Remove Photos and choose the Delete from Disk option (just make double-sure in this last step that only the not required jpegs are selected!).

Jim,

Is there any reason to move the pairs to a new folder? Why not just leave them in place, uncheck the treat as same, then sync all of this year? I could then delete the imported jog.

Tim

It depends on where they currently are, i.e. are they in folders mixed with other non-paired images? If they're all in folders with no other files, then no, there's no need to move them. I was just being cautious....if you sync folders with a mixture of files (some of which may be files previously removed from LR) you could end up importing more than you intended. Your call really, as I said I was just being cautious....

Jim,

Thank you. 1586 JPEGs deleted. Without noticing, I have been shooting raw+jpeg since Thanksgiving last year. :)
(Those are the potential keepers; I guess I need to take more photos!)

Tim

You and me both.....that's still probably a higher number than mine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back