• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Catalogs Creating second copy of catalog from one external drive to another external drive on a Macbook Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

saxriff1

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Version Number
Version 11.0
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
Although I have Lightroom Classic on my Macbook pro hard drive, I have another copy of Lightroom Classic on an external hard drive along with a folder of all my original images and use only one catalog. I also backup my catalog on the same external drive. When I add new images to the original images folder on the first external drive, I also copy them to a folder on a second external drive. I would also like to be able to add a backup of my catalog from the first external drive to the same second external drive. I would appreciate any information on how I should do that.

You have the right idea: backing up to a different drive will save you no end of grief if the disk your catalogue is on dies.
I assume you have set your catalogue to back up on exit (General tab of the Catalog Settings dialogue).
Then, when you exit and get the following dialogue box, click on the Choose button and choose a folder on your 2nd external drive to hold backups. All future backups will go there.
2021-11-07 18_27_38-5-2-2-2-v10-v11 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Library.png

You have the right idea: backing up to a different drive will save you no end of grief if the disk your catalogue is on dies.
I assume you have set your catalogue to back up on exit (General tab of the Catalog Settings dialogue).
Then, when you exit and get the following dialogue box, click on the Choose button and choose a folder on your 2nd external drive to hold backups. All future backups will go there.
View attachment 17423
Thanks so much for responding Hal. Is it possible to have the catalog backup to both the original backup folder on the first external drive from which I launch Lightroom as well as to a backup folder on the second drive where I also have a copy of all my original images. Or can I simply make a copy of the back up catalog on the first drive and paste in a folder on the second drive, perhaps once a week. Sorry if this sounds convoluted.

It's better to have your backup folder on the second drive. If your first disk dies on the sixth day, you lose a week's worth of work. Do you have Time Machine running? If it backs up your LRC-produced backup file, you'll be OK.

It's better to have your backup folder on the second drive. If your first disk dies on the sixth day, you lose a week's worth of work. Do you have Time Machine running? If it backs up your LRC-produced backup file, you'll be OK.
Yes, I do use Time Machine to back up my computer. However, the Lightroom backup file is on my first external drive along with the program and original photos. I will take your advice and change the location of the Lightroom catalog backup folder to my second drive. I also keep a copy of all the photos on that drive as well. Thanks again for your help Hal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back