Copy & Paste Keywords In Keywording Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandyjas

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
I’m going to be keywording my modest amount of past edited photos. These photos do not have any applied metadata on them. I have their keywords (and a bit of other metadata) listed on what I call a Metadata Sheet. It is a data sheet (made up in Word, by hand, by me) for certain fields listing each photo in a folder. These sheets are all saved digitally and have a printed hard copy. The hard copy measures 8 ½ “ X 17.” Please don’t laugh. I know a lot of people will think this is a waste of time. But having these is another save of metadata and is handy when I don’t have the computer on. The keyword field is the last across on the right. It has ample room on the row (about 1/3 the width of the paper’s 17”). But occasionally some pictures have more keywords and run out of room. These spill over to the next row down.
After importing all my past edited photos to Lightroom I was hoping to copy each photo’s keywords from the digital Metadata Sheet and paste them into Lightroom’s Keywording Panel. The top part of Lightroom 5’s Keywording Panel has two parts. A bigger box to display the keywords applied to the photo and a smaller box below titled “Click here to Add Keywords.” to add any new keywords. Can I just paste into the Display box above? Doing so would allow me to see (right away) and correct any gaps between keywords. (Some of the longer amounts of keywords have gaps, depending on how they were typed out in the Metadata Sheet.) (Keywords seem to be listed in the Display box: keyword, keyword, keyword, ... so I need to close any gaps.) Or do I paste in the “Click here to Add Keywords.” Box and then correct in the Display box above? Adding keywords with the copy and paste method would really save time and confusion rather than retyping them in one by one, in this instance.
Thank You for any Help, Thank You,
Sandy

Pasting multiple, comma separated keywords into the "Click here to add keywords box" will work fine as per your wishes.

In a bigger context though I cannot help but feel that you are working at cross-purposes to Lightroom best practise and it may be something to discuss further.
However I will leave it to your good self to make the play.

Tony Jay

Last edited:
You have my head spinning at what the heck you're doing and why... It seems as if you're importing older images that haven't previously been organized in LR.

If I'm understanding correctly, you can paste the keywords in either of those boxes you mention... The one-line, or the multi-line one.

If you still want to maintain a manual list for whatever reason, there may be plugins to help.. Jeffrey Friedl's "Data Explorer" comes to mind, although I haven't really played with it yet so I don't know for sure. There may also be a plugin by John Beardsworth that might be aimed at that IIRC.

Thank You everyone. Yes I wanted to know if I could paste the keywords into the into the display area and/or the "Click here to add keywords box." Yes, to import, I have around 8K past keyworded photos (they need newer keywords added after import) and 400 edited that have to be keyworded in Lightroom , before I get to my newer stuff. So anything that saves time will help. Copy and paste would help on the edited photos.

Thank You again. I want to make sure. I don't want to make a mistake with the program.

Sandy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back