Can I have LR6 and cc 2019 on same computer, but install cc 2019 apps on external drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcsigal

Lightroom Version Number
LR6
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I have LR6 on a Win 10 64 bit computer. I want to keep lr6 for a while (just in case) also have the new lightroom cc, but want to have new app software on an external drive. Is that possible?

Hi bcsigal, welcome to the forum! Yes, you can have both installed, although they'll both install the program files on the internal drive. The images etc. can be wherever you like.

Be aware that the catalogs are NOT compatible. When you upgrade to Classic, you get a new copy of the catalog, still pointing to the same images.

You cannot open this new catalog in LR6.

If you open the LR6 catalog in Classic, it makes YET ANOTHER new copy of the catalog, which can be really confusing.

What's really an issue is that changes you make to the LR6 catalog are not reflected in Classic and vice versa, but ARE reflected in the images themselves. So for example if you drag and drop an image from one folder to another in Classic's catalog, the image just goes missing in the LR6 catalog because it does not know it was moved.

Apologies if all this was obvious, but I've seen people make a real mess running two major versions at once, ending up with a dozen catalogs and changes littered all through them.

I have both on my system with no issues but as stated catalogues are not compatible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back