A couple ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SteveF

Catalog Size

Catalog size - after 2'K photos LR really bogs down. (I'm on a dual quad core mac with 8gb ram and fast system drives - it's not my end that's slow). To be a 'pro' app this needs to improve markedly. Or they could add having multiple catalogs open with the ability to search all of these simultaneously.

SteveF;59' said:
Catalog size - after 2'K photos LR really bogs down. (I'm on a dual quad core mac with 8gb ram and fast system drives - it's not my end that's slow). To be a 'pro' app this needs to improve markedly. Or they could add having multiple catalogs open with the ability to search all of these simultaneously.
Steve, that is my experience as well. Still it is much, much better than earlier. I am sure this is something that is/will be worked on asap.

That's true, that's got to be the biggest complaint I hear about LR.

For now, I'm keeping small working libraries, and one huge reference library that can be slow as it's only used for finding things.

Hopefully one for the future though!

Victoria,

Pardon my ignorance, but how do you keep a master library and more working smaller libraries. do you import everything to the mega-library first? How do all these libraries communicate? Con you produce a collection from various libraries?

I have 33K photos and it is starting to slow down.

Many thanks!

Hi CDCPhotoart

Wow, that's a mouthful. Would you mind filling in your signature when you get a second. There's info here and here. Much appreciated!

Ok, catalogs...

Well, I tend to import to small working catalogs in the first place. So I might have one for personal photos, one for weddings, one for portraits... and so forth. I use those for actually processing, keywording, etc, as at that stage I need speed.

Once I've finished processing, I open my BIG reference catalog, which is currently running at around 15',''' images. Then I go to File > Import from Catalog, and point it to that smaller working catalog. All of the images are imported into the reference catalog, along with all of their settings, keywords etc.

So whenever I need to find anything, I know to either look at the applicable current working catalog for current stuff, or search my supersize reference catalog for older stuff.

Make sense?

Last edited:
Victoria:

Apologies for the wrong signature; I will improve ASAP.

Many thanks for the advice. I will do the same.

Elkyn

CDCPhotoart;1'99 said:
Victoria:

Apologies for the wrong signature; I will improve ASAP.

Many thanks for the advice. I will do the same.

Elkyn

A Big Hi Elkyn, from down here in the sunny (today) South Pacific. Now where is your pic taken?

Nice picture Elkyn!

Hope the catalogs work well for you. Hopefully one day we'll be able to have a supersize catalog with no slowdown!

Amigos,

The picture is in a glacier in Janeau, Alaska last May. Wonderful place..... but the glaciers in the West of the South Island in New Zealand and the Perito Moreno in Patagonia, Argentina are just as impressive.

I am a Belgian who lives the winters in the Dominican Republic and the summers ion europe. with my wife, we travel year long and have accumulated 3'K photos I am trying to organize and distribute. Thus LR .... life saviour program!

Look forward to more productive dialogue with all of you!

Elkyn

Amigos,
The picture is in a glacier in Janeau, Alaska last May. Wonderful place.....
Elkyn

Elkyn,

Nice place! Too cold for a Brazilian to really enjoy, but beautiful anyway.
Welcome and thanks for sharing!
:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back