• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

LrC won't open

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrl

Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Version Number
LrC 12.2.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 11
All of a sudden, Lightroom Classic won't open. It was fine until it wasn't. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling; uninstalling and installing a prior version; deleting the preferences file. I'm running Windows 11. I'm out of ideas. Can anybody help? Thanks.

What stage does it get to? Do you see the Splash screen, for example?

What's happening in Task Manager? Assuming that's in W11.

What's happening in Task Manager? Assuming that's in W11.
Yes, Windows 11. I don't get to the splash screen. Usually, I get the spinning ball for a few seconds, and then nothing. When I've tried installing an earlier version and then (when that doesn't work), reinstalling the current version, I get a screen that says Lightroom Classic Catalog Upgrade (sometimes with "not responding") but nothing else (see screenshot attached), and then nothing happens. I've tried opening from the start menu and from the Creative Cloud menu, and have tried opening as administrator. I've also tried opening by clicking on the catalog in File Manager. So far, nothing has worked.

When I get the Lightroom Classic Catalog Upgrade screen, task manager shows Lightroom Classic as an app that is running. When I don't get that far, it shows Lightroom Classic as a background process.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• Screenshot.pdf
    35.7 KB · Views: 145
If you see LrC in the Task Manager DETAILS tab but not in the PROCESSES tab, then this is a issue I sometimes run into with any number of Windows applications, and not just LrC. I mention that because for this behavior you may want to check Windows forums as well.

Your may want to check out the Adobe Trouble Shooting article.

I wouldn't discount this as "an issue I sometimes run into with any number of Windows applications".

Having had something similar myself this week and noticing this new post, I wonder if there is something is amiss. Am investigating.

See this thread - Adobe's Rikk Flohr is aware that there may be a problem and says "FWIW, I have three Windows machines in my office and they all behave normally. Lack of reproducible cases is driving the delay."

I cleared the presets and I've now found a backup of a catalog I made a few days ago. I unzipped it and used it to get LrC open.
I've backed-up and reopened LrC a couple of times.
However, I notice a few folders on the left nav that now have ? against them.
I'm pretty sure that this wasn't the case before. Can anyone tell me what I've doen wrong?
Or how I can fix it?
Thanks
Mike
Screenshot 2023-03-23 at 23.20.11.png

I am on Win11. I cannot point to metrics.json directs. However, I went through multiple uninstalls, including the Adobe cleanup tool with no success. Finally, I included erasing all ‘user’ folders relative to Adobe (I only use PS, LR, & acrobat). that finally allowed LRc to open normally. I copied back selective folders, which I had saved & reinstalled other programs….so far, so good…

With Window 11 I've had the problem twice (shows in task master but won't open) and needed to reinstall to get it to open. There is no metrics.json file to b found, nor a Cache folder, and Personal and Privacy on my Adobe account just says there are no third party apps installed. There is nothing to disable there. So I'm clueless and annoyed.

Look harder for that cache folder - it will exist.

Try typing C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Adobe\Lightroom\Caches\ in the address bar near the top of the Explorer window.

Look harder for that cache folder - it will exist.

Try typing C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Adobe\Lightroom\Caches\ in the address bar near the top of the Explorer window.
Thank you. It was hidden--I should have checked that. Deleted metrics.json and fingers crossed for no additional trouble (at least with this particular issue).

I have also encountered the issue of Lightroom Classic 12.2.1 failing to open on my PC running Windows 11. I returned from several weeks away and updated Lightroom Classic and the other Adobe programs in my 20GB Photography plan, before importing approximately 5000 images. I deleted some unusable images, added keywords and then started to process some of the images in the Develop module. I decided to edit one in Topaz AI, which advised me that there was an upgrade available, so I closed Lightroom Classic and ran the Topaz AI upgrade.

On completing the Topaz upgrade to 1.2.9, Lightroom Classic would not reopen. The blue circle was displayed briefly but the splash screen did not appear. Windows Task Manager showed that Lightroom Classic was running, so I closed it and moved the lrcat-lock, -shm and -wal files to the recycle bin, reset preferences and tried unsuccessfully to restart. Some time later I returned to my PC and noticed that Lightroom Classic had reopened so I optimised the catalog and processed several more images. I saw that 4 images appeared to have stuck in the synch process so I selected the option to 'rebuild synch data' under 'Preferences' and the Lightroom Classic screen closed and failed to reopen.

After researching the issue in the Adobe Support Community and 'Lightroomqueen' forums, I have turned off the option to share information with Adobe in the Creative Cloud Desktop, restarted my PC and deleted the file 'metrics.json' file as recommended and I am pleased to find that Lightroom Classic now appears to be working again. Thank you to all for the advice.

For what its worth: I'm running Classic 12.2.1 on a Windows 10 machine. I have been having trouble getting Classic to start. No splash screen. Opened task manager. Windows is in the Background processes, using lots of memory, cpu and power high. But doesn't start, even if I let it run in the background process for awhile. And then, a couple of times now, I have returned to find that Classic is indeed open. And seems to operate normally. But, it isn't a running App in Task Manager. I haven't yet tried deleting Lightroom preferences (that sounds scary), turning off sharing with Adobe in the Creative Cloud Desktop or deleting the 'metrics.json' file. All of this is fairly annoying (but I'm sure you all are as frustrated as I am).

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I just hadn't followed your recommendations yet. I have now turned off the reporting to Adobe and restarted my computer. And, I tried to find the metrics.json file, but it wasn't there. Attached is a screen shot of the Lightroom Caches folder. Pretty sure I have hidden files turned on.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-07 105221.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-07 105221.png
    352 KB · Views: 126
As title really. LR has worked fine for years but now clicking on the icon or selecting open from within Creative Cloud Desktop does nothing. Everything is up to date. (LR 12.2.1), Win 10.
I have signed out, rebooted and signed back in to CC but makes no difference.

Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 22H2
Installed on ‎28/‎01/‎2021
OS build 19045.2846
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4190.0

I have also uninstalled 12.2.1 and rebooted and then installed version 11.5. No change

I don't have a catalogue file for v12 as yet. (just v11)

I have searched these and the Adobe forums but I don't have a metrics.json file - LR is NOT running.

Nor have I any option to not send data to Adobe - don't think I ever agreed to that.

Nothing ever shows up on Task Manager and running with deleted preferences makes no difference
A second or two of spinning blue circle then nothing

Any ideas? Thanks, Liam.

It appears that you are raising your issue on someone else's post. Best to start your own new one since it gets confusing trying to help two members on the same thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back