• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Decided to Buy LR Classic, but ...... confused Dot Com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Safariholic

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version Number
not BOUGHT ONE YET
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Having worked through& evaluated all the potential idiosyncrasies of Lightroom, as opposed to Lightroom CC, or Lightroom CC Classic, which for the purposes of clarity I will now refer to them all by the same name, or 'LR' for short ................... Are they kidding me !!

Then to make things even more straight forward, on the Page where you BUY one, Adobe has decided to use the exact same Logo for each and every Option, so I am at a loss to know which Logo to click on .................

If you know, then you are a better man than I, and not having such a bad day !

Am now completely dizzy

Serious Thanks - for your input - seriously.

"Lightroom Classic" refers to the catalog based product (e.g. the original LR that has been updated now through version 12. The logo for this one is "LrC"
1667059473156.png

"Lightroom" refers to the cloud based eco system of products. This includes a desktop app (which is NOT Lrightroom Classic), mobile apps, and a web app. The desktop logo for this one is just "Lr"
1667059523966.png

If you are not seeing Lightroom Classic in the Adobe Creative Cloud App (aka Adobe Application manager)
1667059620291.png
then you purchased the "Lightroom" plan which ONLY includes the Cloud Based apps. The plan you want is the "Photographers Plan" which includes the Cloud based apps but also includes Lightroom Classic as well as the full Photoshop.

Attachments

• 1667059603284.png
    1667059603284.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 65
OK, I'll try :)

Adobe offer two types of plan, Photography and Lightroom. These plans have combinations of Lightroom Classic, Lightroom and Photoshop.

Your choice primarily depend on where you want to keep your original photos on a local disk or in the Adobe Cloud. Lightroom Classic works with local originals and Lightroom (desktop and mobile) works with Cloud based originals. You can also use the Cloud storage with Lightoom Classic too, but more about that later.

So, the plans...
1) Photography 20GB... This has Lightroom Classic, Lightroom (desktop and mobile), Photoshop and 20GB Storage.
2) Photography 1TB... The same as above but with 1TB Cloud Storage
3) Lightroom 1TB... This has Lightroom (desktop and mobile) with 1TB storage.

Option 1 is for local storage, BUT (as mentioned above) you can also store Smart Preview quality images of your photos in the Cloud and access them with Lightroom (desktop and mobile). So you can edit and view all you photos on the go. Any edit to your photos will be synced back to your local files. Importantly any Smart previews stored in the cloud DO NOT consume any of your 20GB allowance. The 20GB is useful, for example, if you go on holiday and upload photos from your camera or Lightroom Mobile on iPad. These will automatically be synced to the Cloud and will also sync back to your main PC running Lightroom Classic when you return home. This does use your 20GB to 1TB storage allowance, but, typically, you move the photos to your local storage and that frees up the Cloud storage again

Option 3 Keeps everything in the Cloud, and you have no control of where images are stored

Option 2 is a bit off an odd-ball, it's for people who want both local storage, and 1TB Cloud Storage.

Personally, I have Option 1, The Photography 20GB plan. For me it is the best value and comes with Photoshop as well. I can still use the Cloud based Lightroom on my iPhone and iPad and everything syncs too and from Lightroom Classic. For me, the only drawback is that I cannot store full size images in the cloud, but that is not an issue as I prefer to keep my files on local storage anyway.

Here are the options from Adobe site: https://www.adobe.com/uk/creativecloud/photography/compare-plans.html?promoid=3SH1B2SR&mv=product

I hope I haven't confused you even more!

The name Lightroom CC (Creative Cloud) was deemed confusing and has been dropped from all official description now for several years now.
If the Compare Plans page is what you are referencing, There are two of three icons displayed. The three icons should be LrC, Lr, & Ps. https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/photography/compare-plans.html

Lr refers to Lightroom an app that is cloud based where all of the images are stored in the Adobe Cloud.

LrC refers to Lightroom Classic which hosts files locally. Prior to the name confusion and the release of the Cloud product called Lightroom, this was a non subscription product simply called Lightroom.

Adobe only sells its products in a subscription and offers two plans with one plan being offered with more cloud storage.

The basic Photography Plan comes with all three products. Lightroom Classic (LrC), Lightroom (cloud Based) (Lr) and Photoshop (Ps). You can subscribe with either 20GB of Cloud storage or 1TB of cloud storage. This is the plan that offers the most for your money. Photoshop used to be sold for Thousands of dollars when it was a standalone product. LrC costed yearly about what you pay now for the basic subscription plan.

If you use only Lr which is a cloud based product, you do not get the other two apps and you will need that 1TB of cloud storage. In the Plans offered this is referred to as the Lightroom Plan.

If you use Lr to import a lot of images into LrC, then the 1TB Photography plan makes more sense than the 20GB Photography plan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The name Lightroom CC (Creative Cloud) was deemed confusing and has been dropped from all official description now for several years now.
If the Compare Plans page is what you are referencing, There are two of three icons displayed. The three icons should be LrC, Lr, & Ps. https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/photography/compare-plans.html

Lr refers to Lightroom an app that is cloud based where all of the images are stored in the Adobe Cloud.

LrC refers to Lightroom Classic which hosts files locally. Prior to the name confusion and the release of the Cloud product called Lightroom, this was a non subscription product simply called Lightroom.

Adobe only sells its products in a subscription and offers two plans with one plan being offered with more cloud storage.

The basic Photography Plan comes with all three products. Lightroom Classic (LrC), Lightroom (cloud Based) (Lr) and Photoshop (Ps). You can subscribe with either 20GB of Cloud storage or 1TB of cloud storage. This is the plan that offers the most for your money. Photoshop used to be sold for Thousands of dollars when it was a standalone product. LrC costed yearly about what you pay now for the basic subscription plan.

If you use only Lr which is a cloud based product, you do not get the other two apps and you will need that 1TB of cloud storage. In the Plans offered this is referred to as the Lightroom Plan.

If you use Lr to import a lot of images into LrC, then the 1TB Photography plan makes more sense than the 20GB Photography plan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sorry, but don't want to seem ungrateful, but still .............

Thanks for trying - I am going for Plan 1 - 20GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back