• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Library module Very slow loading of image thumbnails in Library

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrandt

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
I used to run an older version of Lightroom (V 8.4) on Mac OS Sierra.
I've recently updated my OS to Mojave and was able to then update to the latest Photoshop and Lightroom Classic.

I've only opened LRC a couple times since. I've noticed today that the image thumbnails in the Library are very slow in loading.
The difference between before and now is extreme. Generally updates are for performance improvements not the opposite.
Now, I can scroll down my catalogue and consistently see the grayed images as they are loading. That used to not be the case.

I've Optimized Catalogue, same problem...
Would the fact that my Lightroom Catalogue is stored on my Creative Cloud Files folder (on desktop) be slowing stuff down?

If not, any clues what to do?

Screenshot 2020-07-23 at 22.36.17.jpg

I've closed LRC and re opened. I noticed the Thumbnails which had already loaded in the first time where showing directly.
Perhaps the process is due to the fact the LR is re-creating thumbnails?

Have you built previews?

When you opened your old 8.x catalog in 9.3, Lightroom wanted to convert the old catalog structure into the current catalog structure and writ everything out in a new file. The old previews folder would have been renamed to reflect the new catalog name. If this was not done for some reason, Lightroom is rebuilding previews in the Previews folder. This can take some time.

When you opened your old 8.x catalog in 9.3, Lightroom wanted to convert the old catalog structure into the current catalog structure and writ everything out in a new file. The old previews folder would have been renamed to reflect the new catalog name. If this was not done for some reason, Lightroom is rebuilding previews in the Previews folder. This can take some time.

Hello Clee. Thanks for the info.
I think that’s exactly what happened.

I've looked at the LR preview file as see it’s about 250mg.

Screenshot 2020-07-24 at 10.21.28.jpg

Yet, my "old" preview file from the previous LR version is above 3Gb
Screenshot 2020-07-24 at 10.22.02.jpg

It seems to me that LR is only building the previews for the pictures when I have the Thumbnails displayed in the Library.
In other wards it doesn't seem LR is building all the previews as a background process. Is there a way I can launch such a process and let the computer work overnight ?

It seems to me that LR is only building the previews for the pictures when I have the Thumbnails displayed in the Library.
In other wards it doesn't seem LR is building all the previews as a background process. Is there a way I can launch such a process and let the computer work overnight ?
Yes, that's normal behaviour.

If you want, you can use the Library>Previews>Build Standard Previews option for selected (or All) images. That shouldn't take too long as it seems as though your catalog isn't particularly large, but you can set it going overnight if you prefer.

Yes, that's normal behaviour.

If you want, you can use the Library>Previews>Build Standard Previews option for selected (or All) images. That shouldn't take too long as it seems as though your catalog isn't particularly large, but you can set it going overnight if you prefer.

Hey Jim
Thanks for the tips. Yep, my catalogue is small, I do analog photography am very selective of what I shoot (each shot costs money)
I will create standard-size previews as I'm not indending any mobile / away from desk editing.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back