Keywording "issue", request for opinions please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul_H

Lightroom Version Number
6.14, perpetual licence
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hi, Still using Lightroom 6.14 on Windows 10 - mostly without any issues. Recently started to re-organise and rationalise my Keywords and sets. I have images spread across multiple portable hard drives (therefore indicated as missing files).
Would really appreciate opinions or advice to sort this issue:- after a very short time of re-arranging keywords (selecting images, then either adding/modifying or removing keywords or dragging to different sets) the computer becomes extremely "laggy" with screen refreshing becoming slow and even Lightroom temporarily disappearing from view for several seconds. There is approx. 107GB free space on it's internal drive, so don't think its a swap file/space issue.
Any ideas please?

How old is your pc? and GPU?

I'd start looking at the Windows Resource Monitor as you are working to see what is using the various resources.

How old is your pc? and GPU?

I'd start looking at the Windows Resource Monitor as you are working to see what is using the various resources.
Hi, it's got an Intel and a Radeon which both have the latest drivers installed since getting this lagging issue. Process monitor does not show any excessive load on either CPU or memory. I should stress that using Lightroom for sorting images and editing has not been an issue - it has only started occurring since trying to organise all the keywords. Beginning to wonder if there is something causing a delay to the actual writing of the keywords to the catalogue, causing the page refreshes.

The "laggy" problem that you experience after keywording for some time was encountered by many people in earlier releases (myself included). My workaround for that was to simply restart Lightroom at the first sign of the slowdown, which cleared up the problem (until it starts happening again further into the next session. I found it quicker to do the occasional restart that try to "soldier on" with the lagginess.

The "laggy" problem that you experience after keywording for some time was encountered by many people in earlier releases (myself included). My workaround for that was to simply restart Lightroom at the first sign of the slowdown, which cleared up the problem (until it starts happening again further into the next session. I found it quicker to do the occasional restart that try to "soldier on" with the lagginess.
I never experienced the "laggy problem" myself - maybe I didn't do enough keywording. :)
It may be enhanced when there are "missing photos" on unconnected external drives. LR may have to write temp files when it can't find a photo to update. I certainly could see that when dealing with xmp files stored with a photo.

Thanks, yes I had just got to the point of restarting each time - it's frustrating though!

I never experienced the "laggy problem" myself - maybe I didn't do enough keywording. :)
It may be enhanced when there are "missing photos" on unconnected external drives. LR may have to write temp files when it can't find a photo to update. I certainly could see that when dealing with xmp files stored with a photo.
That's a thought - I'll have to try connect a couple of the externals and see if there's a difference. Logic sounds fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back