Best way to install Lightroom 6 upgrade from Lightroom 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Cicchine

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Hi. I would like to know the best (AND SAFEST) way to install the Lightroom 6 "Upgrade". I am currently using Lightroom 5.7. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You.
John

Welcome to the forum. If you are going to stay with the perpetual license, then Pay the upgrade price at Adobe and then download and install the latest version LR6.6.1. Earlier versions of LR6 are buggy and cause problems.

Once installed, you can open your LR5.7 Catalog file with LR6.6.1. When you do, LR will recognize that the catalog structure is different and tell you that it needs to convert the catalog file to the new database structure. Let LR do this and the result will be a new catalog file in the new database structure.

You should not need to revert to LR5.7 again but if you do the old catalog file will be there just as you last used it with LR5.

Probably a better alternative is the Creative Cloud subscription. With the Photographers bundle you get both LRCC and PSCC for a monthly subscription price of ~$10USD /mo. LRCC contains features added since LR6.0 was released. You also get PSCC and access to LR Mobile free images syncing with mobil android or iOS Devices. If you elect the subscription, you will download and install Adobe Creative Cloud Aopp Manager. It will run as a resident background task and will let you choose to install LRCC, PSCC and future versions of each when they are released during the term of your subscription.

Hi Cletus. Thank you for your advice. I forgot to mention that where I am living I do not have a good internet connection so at least for now I will just stay with the perpetual license. Also if I can just ask another question. When I download Lightroom 6.6.1 or newer in order to open it do I just click on the Lightroom icon at the bottom of the screen or should I double click on the catalog on external hard drive? Will it show "Lightroom 6 Catalog? I am now retired and living in the Philippines and at the location that I am living at I have very limited resources to help me with matters concerning Lightroom and I truly appreciate your help. Looking for to hearing from you and thank you very very much. John

Hi John. What you are proposing to do should be similar to when I upgraded from LR4.4 to LR5.x, hence me chipping in here. When you have downloaded LR6.6.1, you will have both a LR5 AND a LR6 icon in Launchpad in the Dock of your Mac. Just open LR6.6 and you should then get prompted to 'convert' your LR5 catalog to LR6. Make sure that you have backups of the catalog in Time Machine etc.
A couple of other steps that I would personally do would be to click on 'Updates' once you have installed LR6, to ensure that you get onto LR6.6.1. If that is the version that downloads, doing this will confirm it for you.
I would also take the opportunity to download Mac 10.11.6 'El Capitan', which I did myself yesterday...my reasoning being that the next OSX is not far away, & I know that El Capitan works fine (now !) with LR5 and LR6, so it should be fine for you for the foreseeable future - this might not be the case if you stay on Yosemite, as Adobe release further versions of Lightroom, which may contain features that you would appreciate.
Cheers, and I hope that this helps.

Hi John. What you are proposing to do should be similar to when I upgraded from LR4.4 to LR5.x, hence me chipping in here. When you have downloaded LR6.6.1, you will have both a LR5 AND a LR6 icon in Launchpad in the Dock of your Mac. Just open LR6.6 and you should then get prompted to 'convert' your LR5 catalog to LR6. Make sure that you have backups of the catalog in Time Machine etc.
A couple of other steps that I would personally do would be to click on 'Updates' once you have installed LR6, to ensure that you get onto LR6.6.1. If that is the version that downloads, doing this will confirm it for you.
I would also take the opportunity to download Mac 10.11.6 'El Capitan', which I did myself yesterday...my reasoning being that the next OSX is not far away, & I know that El Capitan works fine (now !) with LR5 and LR6, so it should be fine for you for the foreseeable future - this might not be the case if you stay on Yosemite, as Adobe release further versions of Lightroom, which may contain features that you would appreciate.
Cheers, and I hope that this helps.

Hi gainsi. Sorry for the late reply. Thank You very much for your help. From what you are saying it looks very easy. As of now because I work with a monthly photography budget I plan to finally upgrade to Lightroom 6 in November. I will also upgrade to "El Capitan" first. I have been meaning to do that but I have been so busy cleaning up other stuff. I will keep you posted as to how it all goes and I really really appreciate your help. John

...t I plan to finally upgrade to Lightroom 6 in November. I will also upgrade to "El Capitan" first.
MacOS (Sierra) will be released in the next few days. You might save yourself some hassle and upgrade from 10.10 to 10.12 and skip 10.11. As with all new OS releases, it is wise to wait a few days to see what bugs fall out with the early adopters.

Last edited:
Thank you! This is very useful information, as I too plan to upgrade 5.7 to cc. One question still remains: will my export and edit presets/add-ons be migrated to LRCC, or is this something I will have to configure after installation?

Thank you! This is very useful information, as I too plan to upgrade 5.7 to cc. One question still remains: will my export and edit presets/add-ons be migrated to LRCC, or is this something I will have to configure after installation?
Your presets and plugins will be included in LRCC as the LRCC app will convert your LR 5.7 catalog to the LR6 structure. You might need to re-reggister your Publish Services with the web service that they point to but all of your collections and smart collections will transfer intact.

I'm re-visiting this thread as I have decided to upgrade LR5.7 to LR6 whilst I read more about LR Classic to see if the new features would be of benefit. I had no problems getting LR6 working, but it shows as LR6.0 and when I check for updates, I get told that there aren't any. So my question is this - now that LR6 has 'finished' at LR6.15, has Adobe changed it's LR6 download to LR6.15 to save customers the hassle of updating it, or am I having trouble doing this & is there a known fix. I need a later version than 6.0 to fully support a new lens acquisition. MTIA.

I'm re-visiting this thread as I have decided to upgrade LR5.7 to LR6 whilst I read more about LR Classic to see if the new features would be of benefit. I had no problems getting LR6 working, but it shows as LR6.0 and when I check for updates, I get told that there aren't any. So my question is this - now that LR6 has 'finished' at LR6.15, has Adobe changed it's LR6 download to LR6.15 to save customers the hassle of updating it, or am I having trouble doing this & is there a known fix. I need a later version than 6.0 to fully support a new lens acquisition. MTIA.
The last version is 6.14, not 6.15. You have to download the updater manually from here: Download Photoshop Lightroom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back